Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Re: How long is a good life?

Of course everyone has their own opinion thats what a debate is all about,as for being an old washer woman, yes i do everything for myself, i don't rely on anybody, i'm debt free and quite happy with my own shadow.

Antibrown its not you position here to dictate terms, if you either don't like the subject matter, or, me that is your problem and will have no effect on my life, just don't respond and maybe you will be happier.
Does this mean i've had the last word.?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 09:21 AM

Gateau, I am not dictating terms, that is a job for Azz.
I just think this debate has gone off topic and is debating something that can not be proven.

I do not dislike you Gateau and I am very happy, in fact I think I am happier now than I have been in my whole life.

I also think this Long life should be allowed to R.I.P.

As for the last word, just read some of your replies.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Perhaps starting a new thread regarding the existence of God (or not) would seem appropriate?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by gateau ->
Aerolor, the only problem i have with these biblical stories is they are written by men, many men, each with his interpretation of the original message.
Now people have a tendency to exaggerate and over time that message can be totally different from what was originally stated, if in fact it ever was spoken and not someones view.
The only story that seems to have stood the test of time is JC's story, why because it offers salvation to mankind.

Strange how he spoke of eternal life yet many people today don't believe it, believing only what their eyes tell them, yet, even that could be an illusion, dratwe may have been conned
You are spot on gateau - The Bible was written down by men and has always been interpreted - and a good interpreter is essential. The offer of salvation is also a very big "carrot" for some. Part of the difficulty, I think, is that many people have had religion put to them from childhood and it is amazing how much is absorbed without question when you are young. As you grow, people challenge and question what is taken as truth when young - eventually, hopefully, something that seems to make sense comes out of it all which is often individual and personal.

Were you born in Derbyshire gateau - do you want to say where - Derbyshire is where I live now, although I was born in Brixton, London (on Electric Avenue) and lived there until I was about ten.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
Faith and belief are funny things. Once you start to think about it all with an open mind, it is as if a veil is lifted from your mind, and the whole thing seems a bit silly.

The bible is not a book but a collection of books, many of which contradict each other, written by men with varying motives. If we as a society followed it, life would be hell. Men could have many wives, adulterers could be stoned....the list goes on.

Sometimes I'm sad that I've lost the magic of faith, and found it replaced with rational thought and reasoning, but it can't be helped.
I think an open mind is the most valuable thing anyone can achieve in all this Joan - The willingness to look, question and explore as much as an individual's capacity will absorb is one of the most valuable gifts I hope to have given my children.

Just a little thought for anyone interested -

If we were put somewhere completely strange (with a completely new and different culture and way of living) alien to everything we think we understand and think we have made sense of - how would we behave? and how could we survive?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

09-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Perhaps starting a new thread regarding the existence of God (or not) would seem appropriate?
New thread would be fine Plantman, but not sure about the title (could it put people off). This thread has digressed and become more complicated than Antibrown probably intended, but I am fine carrying on with it unless the general consensus wants to start another thread.
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Anti, i agree with you, sorry i went of half cocked, ego talking...so what would you like to talk about.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Gateau, I try to stay with the subject of the thread.

It can be difficult at times as some subjects are governed by outside influenies but I try to stay within the parameters of the subject.
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2011, 11:25 PM

OK, back to the thread question. How long is a good life? As long as it remains good.

As for me, I'm doing what I can to make it last as long as possible, because I always want to know what happens next, in science, society, and family.
gateau
central queensland

10-01-2011, 11:39 PM

Joan, are you a sticky beak,lol of course its natural to want to know whats happening in the world around us, we can see where we have been, but, to where we are going, well, that's another question, you see, all you ever have is the very moment your living in, because in five seconds time we could be dead, now avoiding that scenario helps us cope with life.
So live as long as you can, but enjoy the moment, you will never get it again once it past. yahoooooo

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top