Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Re: What have you got ?

I have a hairdryer still in use, my first and only one purchased on the early 1960's.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:25 PM

We still use a Kenwood Chef mixer that I bought Mrs. G 43 years ago. Last year I dumped a Black & Decker power drill that was 40 years old. Most of my woodwork hand tools are nearly 50 years old.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
We still use a Kenwood Chef mixer that I bought Mrs. G 43 years ago. Last year I dumped a Black & Decker power drill that was 40 years old. Most of my woodwork hand tools are nearly 50 years old.
That's because they were made well
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

11-12-2014, 09:54 PM

1. 1992 Chevy Cavalier car.
2. 1970's Sears Kenmore sewing machine
3. 1960's ladies jewelry box, My Grandmas when I was a child.
4. Costume jewelry from the 60's on up, Grandmas's and mine.
5. Record collection from the 50's on up. They still play.
6. Turntable/radio/cassette tape player all-in-on unit, 1970's, only tape player doesn't work.
7. Remington Envoy manual typewriter. Still works nicely.

Yes, they don't build things to last anymore. That's why I like the old stuff.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
1. 1992 Chevy Cavalier car.
2. 1970's Sears Kenmore sewing machine
3. 1960's ladies jewelry box, My Grandmas when I was a child.
4. Costume jewelry from the 60's on up, Grandmas's and mine.
5. Record collection from the 50's on up. They still play.
6. Turntable/radio/cassette tape player all-in-on unit, 1970's, only tape player doesn't work.
7. Remington Envoy manual typewriter. Still works nicely.

Yes, they don't build things to last anymore. That's why I like the old stuff.
Great collection !
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 10:17 AM

The oldest thing I own is also one of my most prized possessions. Its a 1957 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp bought used a long, long time ago.

Its not used all that often, and never leaves the house, but it still works, and still sounds great.

Another one is the musclecar I'm reatoring. That doesn't really count though, because its not working at present.

One thought I had. A lot of older items are now worth a lot more money than they were when they were new. I wonder if thats because of quality, nostalgia, or both? Or even some other reasons?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
The oldest thing I own is also one of my most prized possessions. Its a 1957 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp bought used a long, long time ago.

Its not used all that often, and never leaves the house, but it still works, and still sounds great.

Another one is the musclecar I'm reatoring. That doesn't really count though, because its not working at present.

One thought I had. A lot of older items are now worth a lot more money than they were when they were new. I wonder if thats because of quality, nostalgia, or both? Or even some other reasons?

I think its a mixture - some people 'live' in the 40s 50s or 60s, they choose that lifestyle and furnish their homes accordingly and dress vintage too - fab !
The Fender amp is a gem ......
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
I think its a mixture - some people 'live' in the 40s 50s or 60s, they choose that lifestyle and furnish their homes accordingly and dress vintage too - fab !
The Fender amp is a gem ......
It probably is a mixture. Perhaps combined with memories as well.

Not only is the Fender a gem, when I play "Rumble" through it, it sounds so much better than my newer amps. Good investment also...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2014, 12:04 AM

All this audio talk reminded me. I'd quite forgotten about my Goodman Magister speakers, I bought them when I lived in London in the late 60s or the very early 70s. They are still in daily use too (and sound wonderful) You don't see 16" woofers much these days.

(Those are not mine but mine are identical)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Pair of ratchet screwdrivers that used to belong to my dad, still put to good use,60+ years.

A book of Dialect poetry from 1927.

My birth certificate, (glyphs on parchment.)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top