Join for free
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Error message

Right here's one for all you techies. I have Windows 7 and keep getting the following error message

Console Windows Host has stopped working

I am running Avast! anti-virus. I asked one of the IT guys at work who suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Avast! which I have done but the message has reappeared. Everything works OK and the message doesn't appear every time I use the laptop. I reinstalled Avast! on Friday and all was well until last night when it came back again.

So has anyone here got any thoughts.

Cheers

Val
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Re: Error message

Now is that a technicol term or a Marine one !
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

17-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Right here's one for all you techies. I have Windows 7 and keep getting the following error message

Console Windows Host has stopped working

I am running Avast! anti-virus. I asked one of the IT guys at work who suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Avast! which I have done but the message has reappeared. Everything works OK and the message doesn't appear every time I use the laptop. I reinstalled Avast! on Friday and all was well until last night when it came back again.

So has anyone here got any thoughts.

Cheers

Val
Hi Val,
Did the problem start happening after an Avast definition update? it might be something there that is causing the issue and a normal uninstall might not get rid of the problem.
How long since you did a full virus scan on the machine ?
You may just have an issue there.

It may also be possible to get rid of it by doing a system restore but that to my mind is close to the last resort.

A little experiment worth considering, download the free Microsoft Security Essentials ( MSE) from here.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...urity/mse.aspx

Now uninstall the Avast completely including all the user settings.

Install the MSE and see if the problem has gone/changed or remains the same. it could provide a clue as to what is wrong.

Hope this helps a little.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks George I'll try that. I can't remember when the message first appeared to be honest but its definitely since I had Avast! Previously I had AVG but my IT guy here thought Avast! was better.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top