Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Back in time

This is an old picture taken by the RAF in 1945 after a V2 rocket decided to drop in and do a makeover on our little homesteads. You can just make out the repairs that were underway including the new roofs and the 'utility housing' which replaced the previously demolished and cleared houses.

Number 1 on the photo, just in the bottom left hand corner is the Hammers Boleyn Ground, which had already survived a pitch invasion a few months before by a rather unruly V1.

Number 2 was the area of our gangs command post, supplies bunker and forward observation station. It was strategically placed so we could get home for tea in short order, usually after ma yelled out " George, get your backside in here...............NOW"

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Re: Back in time

What an interesting photo, George. There was certainly a lot of damage done there
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

A very historical photo George, those V2's certainly caused a lot of destruction, my Aunt lived in London at that time. Thanks for showing it
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Very interesting George, an aerial shot like that. The London Docks weren't far away and they were badly hit, as you well know.
I do remember visiting an aunt who lived in a pre-fab.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-09-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Very interesting George, an aerial shot like that. The London Docks weren't far away and they were badly hit, as you well know.
I do remember visiting an aunt who lived in a pre-fab.
Hi Jan, I had quite forgotten how bad it looked all that time ago but seeing it every day it looked well, normal.

I do remember a lot of the pre-fabs, especially over Greenwich way that were still used years after the war ended.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top