Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Cheap Trick.

When I want to buy something on the internet I get my son to use his credit card, I never had a credit card and I never will, I heard enough bad stories about people getting into serious debt, he's always happy to oblige me.
He told me there was a good deal going on memory sticks and I asked him to get me two. Here's my gripe, it says on the stick 16GB but when I put it in only 14.46GB are available, my son explained that some space has to be taken up by the stick in order to operate, a sort of working engine built in, OK I accept that no problem, but why do they have to play a cheap trick like that?, why don't they make the whole stick 17.46?, than you get your 16GB which you thought you were getting in the first place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Re: Cheap Trick.

It is not a cheap trick. it has been the way ALL storage devices have been rated since computers started.

The storage device is measured as 1 gigabyte is 1000000000 bytes (which is the mathematical definition at a base of 10 to the power of 9) BUT your computer works on 1 gigabyte being 107374182 bytes ie 2 to the power of 30 (it is a binary device and counts in twos - on or off).

This means a 400 gigabyte hard disk will be reported as about 372GB by your computer it has always been so since Bill Gates was a lad.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation Bruce, but I still think it's misleading to say 16GB, after all the customer is only interested in the space he can use, say to fit in 16 films. Although it's only a small outlay for a 16GB stick one would lose a fair bit of space on a 3TB hard drive, it just annoys me when they dont spell it out on the label, to my way of thinking it's like buying a house and nobody tells you that you can't use the garden shed...ever.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Jimmy, when you go to the supermarket to do the weekly shopping do you question the weight of a product? Unless it states net weight, the weight of a product includes the packing as well.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top