Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Entertainer Max Bygraves Dies

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/entertainer...124426749.html

Comedian and variety performer Max Bygraves has died, aged 89.

The entertainer - whose catchphrase "I wanna tell you a story" propelled him to stardom in the 50s - had been suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

He died at his daughter's home in Australia on Friday night, where he had been living since emigrating from Sandbanks, near Bournemouth, Dorset.

Max last appeared in public in the UK at revival shows in Blackpool and London in 2006.

He emigrated to Australia after the death of his wife Blossom, to be with his other daughter, Christine.

She nursed him through a difficult last six months of his life as Alzheimer's Disease increased its grip over him.

"Sadly, Dad died last night as a result of the Alzheimer's," said his son Anthony, 65, who lives in Bournemouth.

"He was six weeks off celebrating his 90th birthday which would have fallen on October 16."

Anthony, who recently visited Max on the Gold Coast in Australia, had organised a campaign for the public to send him their stories on how they affectionately remembered him, including his appearances as a former Family Fortunes presenter.

The appeal came after more than 2,000 people sent well-wishing postcards and messages of support to Max in March when it was revealed he was suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's.

"I had wanted to compile it with the help of the public. Dad still had a loyal fan base all around the world," said Anthony.

"I had wanted people to contribute a written memory of Max to appear in 'I Wanna tell you a Story'.

"Their own personal recollection of my father, a meeting, of a show, a time, a place - anything that was interesting or unusual." mfl ends
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Re: Entertainer Max Bygraves Dies

Always went to see max Bygraves when he was on the pier at Blackpool.Rest in peace now max with Blossom.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Sad news, Max was a great all-rounder and a true gentleman.

I had seen him twice in theatre in years gone by and he always gave a first class performance.

Sleep tight Max....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Max was a great entertainer and a thoroughly nice guy apparently, he certainly loved his work and gave pleasure to millions. The likes of Max are becoming even more rare and he will be sorely missed.

RIP Max Bygraves, it's been fun...
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 06:42 PM

By Max you always brought back my childhood. RIP.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Aye, it's sad to see another old stalwart come to the end. I thought he was a good entertainer.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 07:41 PM

I remember singing along with Max when younger Windmill in Old Amsterdam and the likes. RIP Max you will be with Blossom again,
he must have missed her being married for nearly 70 years.
Not the first devoted couple with one who dies with a broken heart.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 09:48 PM

As I grow older more and more folks of my times pass away. Max was A link with my childhood & hearing of his death brought back many happy memories of yesteryear & more innocent family entertainment. Something we see little of these days
Thanks for the memories Max
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2012, 02:31 AM

I loved watching Max Bygraves when I was a kid although I have to admit that I thought he had already passed on but hearing the news brought a lump to my thraot and a tear to my eye.

"Any time...........
Your feeling lonely,
That's the time.........
I'll be thinking of you"

RIP Max, you made a young boy very happy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Anybody with the intestinal fortitude to put out an album with the title Singalongamax will never be forgotten.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top