Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Agatha Christie Miss Marple Stories

Are there any AC fans on here. I have all the books and love watching them on TV. David Suchet is fantastic as Hercule Poirot but I do have misgivings about Julia MacKenzie as Miss Marple. I thought Joan Hickson was much better in the part and I have all the DVDs of the ones she did. What also annoys me knowing the books so well as I do is that they have adapted some of the stories which Miss Marple did not appear in and given her a part which annnoys me greatly as I don't think you should mess with the original stories. Personally my image of Miss Marple from the stories equates far more with Joan Hickson than with Juia MacKenzie who I think looks too young in the role.

Anyone got any views on this.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Re: Agatha Christie Miss Marple Stories

I have been a great fan of Agatha Christie's books since I was a boy, the first book I read was 'Why didn't they ask Evans' and I was hooked straight away, the first film of her work I saw was 'And then there were none' a great work of detective fiction, like you Val I have all the DVD's and books, I even have them on my reader and never get tired of them, I keep going back through them and always forget who done it, one of the bonuses of being old.
They have changed Miss Marple so many times now it's confusing, but my image of her never changed. they messed around with some of the plots on TV too, I was surprised her grandson let this happen, he controls all her works with an iron fist, I believe he even has a big say in who plays who.
Every year when the Agatha Christie Player come to Dublin my daughter gets good seats for the wife and me to see them on stage, they are brilliant to watch.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Aye meeee (hands waving wildly in the air) love Miss Marple and Poirot.
Joan Hickson is also my Favourite, I have a load of her Stories in Audio Book
form and it's Joan Hickson who is reading them.......great.

I must admit though, one of my all time favourite Miss Marple Films is "Murder at the Gallop" with Margaret Ruthford playing her.......excellent.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 06:50 PM

I don't think I have seen a Miss Marple story since Margaret Rutherford played here, so that's a while ago by the sounds of it.. Julia MacKenzie wouldn't be anywhere near right for the part I wouldn't have thought...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Joan Hickson was Miss Marple, I believe she was in her late 70's when she took the role on
I've never been a fan of Margaret Rutherford and Julia McKenzie is a bit too 'sweet'
Hubby is a Poirot fan and no one but David Suchet could play that part either.
I have read a few of the books over the years but certainly not all of them.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 08:17 PM

I love Agatha Christie novels and TV series I agree with you all on Joan Hickson and David Suchet being the best actors for the roles...Last year we went to South Devon and visited Bigbury on Sea and Burgh Island and saw the sea tractor and hotel that was used in Evil under the sun http://www.burghisland.com/awards_1.html
Amazing place....Sue
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 11:13 PM

For me, Miss Marple WAS Margaret Rutherford. There were only four films made back in the 50s, in black and white, and they are available on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant and extremely comical.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2012, 01:21 AM

David Suchet is perfect as Poirot. I just watched Julia M as Miss Marple on some DVDs from the library but am not familiar with the others who've played her but will watch for them.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Interesting replies. I must admit I didn't like Margaret Rutherford in the role and some of the dramatizations didn't follow the book either. The worst of all was 4.50 from Paddington where they changed the story to have Miss Marple working in the house which was ridiculous as it was meant to be Lucy Eylesbarrow and a much younger person. I hate it when they change the books.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2012, 10:17 AM

I love the AC books and every couple of years i re read some of them because they are classics.
I liked David Suchet in the role of Poirot but didnt like him when he did Death on the Nile, didnt think he did that very well. But that is just my opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top