Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Vat

I bought an item online today, only £7.35 and with postage and packing of £2.75 the total was £10.10. I was quite pleased, because said item was about a tenner in the shops and it would have cost me a few pounds in petrol (plus the palaver of getting out the wheelchair for hubby which is becoming a struggle - poor old dear )
Now my grump is...VAT. I hadn't realised it was added after p&p
£2.02 were now added to my total...what a cheek!
Am I the only one not to have realised that vat was paid on postage?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Re: Vat

They'd put VAT on oxygen if they could.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I bought an item online today, only £7.35 and with postage and packing of £2.75 the total was £10.10. I was quite pleased, because said item was about a tenner in the shops and it would have cost me a few pounds in petrol (plus the palaver of getting out the wheelchair for hubby which is becoming a struggle - poor old dear )
Now my grump is...VAT. I hadn't realised it was added after p&p
£2.02 were now added to my total...what a cheek!
Am I the only one not to have realised that vat was paid on postage?
Jan, as far as I am aware there is no VAT on postage stamps but I think independent couriers can charge VAT for the service of packing the item and then delivering it although I could be wrong.

I agree it is a bit rich.............for someone at any rate.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
They'd put VAT on oxygen if they could.
You do get a VAT concession for an Oxygen concentrator to treat a condition Mollie although only within NHS rules, but not if it is for alternative health use.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
You do get a VAT concession for an Oxygen concentrator to treat a condition Mollie although only within NHS rules, but not if it is for alternative health use.
Such as breathing?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Such as breathing?
Indeed yes but they have been trying to cure me of that habit for a while now, just ask the black widow pictured on the toaster thread.

Although, just yesterday morning someone asked " hello, and how do you find yourself today?" I just rolled back the sheets and there I was.

Which was nice.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2012, 08:55 PM

At 22% VAT rate over here it's the governments biggest money spinner, nothing escapes it even the coffin you're buried in is 22% VAT, not to mention the plot you are lowered into also has 22% VAT, there is talk that the VAT inspector General has already dispatched a messenger off to make a deal with Saint Peter to charge 22% VAT at the gate, plus 22% VAT on the ride up to the main Mansion. He already has a deal with the fella below, there's a much bigger turnover on the traffic going there, and all that coal they use at 22%VAT, a nice little earner eh!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

27-08-2012, 10:31 PM

George and Jimmy, you are both very funny guys - where would we be without you?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top