Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Nuisance telephone calls

The last few weeks I have had many Withheld calls, at 3-21 am. I had one, as luck would have it I was awake.
I am now beginning to wonder if someone has a disagreement with me.
I can't for the life of me see what these people get out of it.
The only folks I have fallen out with are Sky, because I gave them notice of quitting, but I really can't believe they would do this.
I think we are having 6 a day now, but I have to answer it because the hospital operate a calls withheld system, I also have a daughter living abroad.
It does bother me that someone stoops so low.
I think this 141 system is the worst thing ever cooked up by telephone companies and in my opinion should be stopped.
What do you think?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Re: Nuisance telephone calls

Mollie darlin' - you now know the name of this company that 'phoned you, its a local (i.e UK company). As you, like me have signed up to telephone preference and this company have ignored that, you can lodge a complaint with the telephone preference society against them. Don't let 'em get away with it!!!!
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Funny thing you mentioning Sky. I had a falling-out with some creature in an Indian Call centre trying to sell me Sky product and I had a lot of early morning calls for a while.

HOWEVER there are autodialing systems that churn out numbers looking for ring tone run by buisnesses and if encountered ring tone and not number unobtainable log the number as being valid and then drop the call but sell that number along with a list of others to people who do engage in telephone selling.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 09:35 AM

I don't mind calls from folks trying to sell me something, it is the ones where there is no one answering you when you pick the phone up.
I hate that silent caller, especially at 3-21 am.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I don't mind calls from folks trying to sell me something, it is the ones where there is no one answering you when you pick the phone up.
I hate that silent caller, especially at 3-21 am.
somebody told me if you pick up and continually hit the hash key it confuses the computer generating the call, tried it and calls stopped. Am now getting out of area calls at 1.30pm and 02 number 5.30pm don't pick up on these at all.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 10:49 AM

You could be right about it being some idiot from Sky playing silly games. I had a disagreement with Virgin Media and all my services were cut off. It took me ages to get them reinstated.
Falconer
Lancashire
Falconer is male  Falconer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 10:57 AM

I used to get lot's of these call's but, a few month's ago, I was put on to a 'wind-up'.
'Is that Mr Jones?...
'Do you know Mr Jones?'...
'No, Sir'...
'Are you aware you've just called a Murder site?...
''oh...well'...
'DON'T HANG UP!...that would be a Criminal Offence!...this is Detective Inspector Smith and we've already traced your call, so we already know where you are...how long have you known the deceased, and in what capacity?...
'Sorry, Sir, this is simply a 'cold-call'...
'What's you're name?...
'erm, John'...
'Well, John, as a friend of the deceased we need to come and talk to you'.
...(it's amazing how long you can keep them on the 'phone!)...
'But I don't even know him!'.
'John, you called him, therefore we must assume that you are one of his lovers, and therefore a suspect, ok?.

...(normally, the 'phone goes' dead around this point, and yer taken off their list, heeheehee!...but it's fun while it last's, rofl!).
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

25-08-2012, 04:38 PM

The trouble is that folks in India, are not told our hours, therefore we are likely to get calls out of hours.
I don't mind sales calls, because I look on it as some poor man/woman trying to meet targets, and get a living. I just hate it when no one is there. when you answer it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

25-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Mollie darlin' - you now know the name of this company that 'phoned you, its a local (i.e UK company). As you, like me have signed up to telephone preference and this company have ignored that, you can lodge a complaint with the telephone preference society against them. Don't let 'em get away with it!!!!
Darlin' Geoff You are mixing the threads up, probably my fault as you are referring to an old thread from 13 months ago.
Have I to scan every time to see whether a thread has been on before ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Arthur, we get the silent calls too. And when you dial 1471, it always says 'caller withheld their number' We now don't answer the 'phone, our family know to call us on the mobile if it is an emergency. Other calls go to the answering machine and if genuine, they'll leave a contact number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top