Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 12:30 AM

Nights Are Drawing In

I don't know about everyone else, but I truly do hate early dark nights. With it, for many, comes depression and despondency.

What do you do during the dark days and nights of winter?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Re: Nights Are Drawing In

I think it goes darker earlier here than it did in Blackpool, its dark at 4ish and you draw the curtains and its a long time till about 9 the following day.We have beautiful skies here, you could almost reach up and touch the stars.I do prefer the light mornings, but its not here yet so we wont think about it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Yes Mollie.
The dark nights do seem stifling, I try to spend some time outdoors regardless of the darkness (but mindful of the weather). It is good sometimes to think of the numbers, it is usually only seven weeks between the clock change, and the shortest day, after which we get an extra 1.5 minutes a day of daylight per day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 08:59 AM

I don't mind the dark nights too much except the electricity bill that accompanies them although I do find autumn and winter as a whole depressing

I still take Chloe out for a good walk early morning and night dark or not.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 09:42 AM

I don't mind the dark nights after Christmas as they are starting to open up, but I dislike the continual drawing in of the days in autumn when they are forever shortening. We often celebrate the Winter Solstice with a party, to mark the promise of longer days to come...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 09:45 AM

I hate the long nights and try to have my main holidays away during winter. This year the nights drawing in seem worse than ever as most of our days this summer have been dark too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 01:04 AM

Aye well, I noticed last night that it was dark at 9 p.m. It came on suddenly for me to be honest as it had started to darken around 10 p.m just a couple of days before that.

I still don't know what folk do though, during those dark days of winter.

I wish I was an owld bear and I could hibernate in me cave till springtime, but I'm not an owld bear.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I think it goes darker earlier here than it did in Blackpool, its dark at 4ish and you draw the curtains and its a long time till about 9 the following day.We have beautiful skies here, you could almost reach up and touch the stars.I do prefer the light mornings, but its not here yet so we wont think about it.
My last visit to Eskdale in Cumbria gave me the chance to just sit my son down and let him stare at the Milky Way.Something he had never seen before, being brought up in the town where the street light pollution hides all but the brighter stars.
He was amazed,and it made me think how many millions of kids have never seen these millions of stars,unless they live in the country.

Mind you this year clear skies have been a rarity wherever you live.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 09:34 AM

I'v started noticing how early it is getting darker on a nighttime now.
It would almost be worth it if we had had a nice summer. But we missed out again.
Get very down during the winter months, have started going on a sun bed just to get the rays so that i dont have to take tablets.
Oh dear not going to think about it for a good while yet.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-08-2012, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I'v started noticing how early it is getting darker on a nighttime now.
It would almost be worth it if we had had a nice summer. But we missed out again.
Get very down during the winter months, have started going on a sun bed just to get the rays so that i dont have to take tablets.
Oh dear not going to think about it for a good while yet.
No Missus Shirley, a sun-bed isn't the answer lass. I think most people feel a bit down during the winter months, so you be careful under that sun-bed.

So, what do people DO? I know some folk aren't so nimble on their old pins these days, but does anybody take up a particular interest in the cold dark days such as drawing, knitting, anything?

I might have a do at knitting something as I bought masses of wool years ago and I have needles, but this daft right hand of mine doesn't work too well since I had the mini-stroke. You won't believe how many times I have to track back after making typing errors these days, but I might give it a whirl. It'll keep me quiet if I can manage it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top