Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

15-08-2012, 05:49 PM

V-J Day, again the forgotten one.

I posted something similar last year but do not apologise for doing it again.

Today, the 15th of August 2012 marks the 67th aniversary of the victory over Japan.
This date marks the end of combat in the Second World War (WWII) and the surrender of the Japanese troops.

The surrender to the Allied Forces actually took place on the 14 August 1945 but the next day, Wednesday 15 August, is celebrated as VJ (Victory over Japan) Day.

Lest we forget, well it seems we do all too often.
A couple of years ago there was a very short service at the Cenotaph to mark the 65th year, very little evidence since, there must be other pressing matters.

Another year passes but as ever, here's to you uncle Harry and all your mates, God Bless and keep smiling.

Nimrod
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Re: V-J Day, again the forgotten one.

Thank you for the timely reminder Hammer, there are some things we should never forget...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 06:41 PM

I regret to say that before I read your thread George, I had unfortunately forgotten what day it was today.

Thank you for your reminder, it is so important that we keep the memory of that momentous day in history.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 06:48 PM

We should all thank you for the reminder George, some things should never be forgotten and some debts can never be repaid...

RIP lads...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2012, 12:26 AM

I hadn't forgotten because 15 August 1947 was the date my husband was born, just two years after his dad was liberated from a Japanese POW camp, so it was a very important day for Frank's dad, to have his first son born on that day.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 06:56 AM

I remember your Post last Year Hammer though I wasn't Born at the Time it took place.
I also remembered as it's my Daughters Birthday on the 14th.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top