Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Old Postcard

I've been sorting out some old photos etc today and came across some cards sent by my grandfather during the 1st world war. This is one of them.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Re: Old Postcard

Wow Loretta, what a treasure.. I know Baslow and the Devonshire Arms very well, although I've not bumped into Sis or Ivy as far as I can recall...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 07:00 PM

I also know The Devonshire Arms. My Mother's sister Mollie lived in Baslow and will have been there at the time of the postcard.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Wow, small world. Perhaps I should explain a little, my adoptive mother was in her 50s when she adopted me, long story and of no real interest to anyone but me. However, Arthur, the writer of the card was her father, who in my growing up days lived with us.

If you remember Baslow you will no doubt remember Mrs Chappell's antique shop which was on the corner near the Devonshire Arms. Long before my time it was a chip shop run by my mother and her mother I believe. My mother lived in Baslow for over 80 years until her death.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

14-08-2012, 08:25 PM

A few more:

Baslow School in 1918 (according to the board the boy is holding), mother is the one in the white dress with white ribbons

Grandfather (Arthur the card sender)

The Wheatsheaf Hotel

The bridge which leads into Chatsworth Park. This is where we lived. The three children are my older sister, a neighbour's son and myself peeping over the bridge.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Oh I love looking at old photos. I started putting some on a while ago, which I'd forgotten about until now. They are to be treasured.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 11:18 PM

There's some lovely old photos here, I love looking at them, seeing how people dressed etc.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

15-08-2012, 01:39 AM

I'm glad I managed to save just a very few of the old photos. There was a large box of them with really old photos of past relatives, very Victorian, the typical foot on tiger, babies in long gowns, lots of military and police past relatives but almost all of them came to grief with the African climate and creatures that like eating paper. However I didn't know who most of the people in the photos were and I did manage to rescue just a very few of ones I did know.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 09:20 AM

They really are great photos Loretta, and very evocative of times past. As it happens a friend of mine has just acquired a device which scans photographs and puts them onto an SD card, from where they can be put onto a computer. Over winter I will borrow it from him to record of all our old photos, which continue to deteriorate, and then give the children a CD each of their childhood pictures for posterity, just in case they are interested....
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Lovely old photos. I've been scanning all mine over a long period of time I put them on a CD so they will keep.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top