Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Lottery Winners

I was just reading on the news about the latest Eoromillions lottery winners and couldn't comprehend why people would want the world to know..

Would you go public if you won, and if so why?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Re: Lottery Winners

Declaring yourself as a lottery winner (which I was planning to do until someone beat me to it) has to be one of the worst things you could do in your lifetime. You would become instant target for every weirdo, thief, blackmailer, kidnapper and assorted scum who would stop at nothing to get your hands on it.

Unless you are going to use it to have a facelift, change identity and live in a far-off land, never to be heard of again.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 12:25 PM

I would not go public and sad to say, it wouldn't change my life too much, I'd buy a holiday home or three, all in the UK.
As Graham says, going public you leave yourself open to all sorts. And sadly there is always a relative or two who'd crawl out of the woodwork..on the 'sponge'.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Not sure how it could be kept private, the grapevine is no respector of privacy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 12:42 PM

There will always be people who will get to know it's true, but why make it so easy for total strangers to find out where you work, where you live, where your children go to school etc. I know the publicity must be great for Camelot, but you surely don't owe them a favour for winning?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 12:49 PM

If I won £1,000,000+ I definitely wouldn't want to go public as I would absolutely hate being in the limelight. No big presentations for me thank you, just a polite note to say that 'said amount' had been deposited into my bank account would suffice! My family and I would be quite capable of deciding where, what and to whom the money would go to ........ if the occasion ever arose.

It's nice to dream about it though!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm sure the Lottery Companies put pressure on the winners, possibly quite subtly, to get themselves maximum publicity in the media. They know sales zoom upwards when a huge win is announced, and all and sundry want to be next. Myself, I would tend to keep it quiet, but oh how lovely it would be to inform all those people who gave you grief of one sort and another in the past!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Actually I think that there may be a legal obligation to go public to some extent if you accept the winnings. I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that accepting winnings forms a contract with Camelot which includes their being able to make your details public?
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 05:50 PM

I would not go public but I fear Mr. TWHRider would, even though he says he wouldn't

He can't shut up about anything. I have already told him if he wins the More Money Than Brains lottery, all I want is one million dollars put in a separate account and he can have the other gazillion dollars

I'll do fine on one million and my Social Security income can then become "pin" money

I figure I would have to leave him since he wouldn't be able to keep quiet and would have more friends and money stalkers than he knew what to do with
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Julie, you do make me laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top