Join for free
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 03:04 PM

Just picked my .......

first wild blackberries of the year Didnt get many of them (abt 1lb) but there will be enough to stew with some apples for pudding after tea tonight.
I will have to go out again soon & start looking for some more. I usually end up with a freezer full of them by the time i've finished
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Re: Just picked my .......

I grow my own blackberries Lynn and usually get about 50lb in weight every year. They are not quite ready yet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 06:14 PM

I picked some last week in the country park with the twins, they seem early to me.

I am not a fan of blackberries, too sweet for me and as I have limited space in the freezer I prefer to fill it with damsons which I love

Alan what on earth do you do with them all
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Nothing like wild fruit and nuts....I used to love to go pick blackberries, cob nuts, damsons and mushrooms as a tiddler..Used to go pick the blackberries and go scrump a few apples and give them to my mother who would bake blackberry and apple plate pie on a Sunday......yummie.
In season I have a few blackberries on my cereal in the mornings, and drop a few in some plain yoghurt for pudding sometimes. :P
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
first wild blackberries of the year Didnt get many of them (abt 1lb) but there will be enough to stew with some apples for pudding after tea tonight.
I will have to go out again soon & start looking for some more. I usually end up with a freezer full of them by the time i've finished
Lynne darflin' - when you go picking again - you'll need about 2 Lb, wash them, put them in a kilner jar, pour a full bag of sugar over them, and buy the cheapest bottle of Gin you can get. Pour as much of the Gin over the fruit and sugar as possible to fill the kilner jar. With the handle of a wooden spoon, gently place inside the kilner jar and stir until the sugar has dissolved (this may take several days). When the sugar has thoroughly dissolved, return lid to kilner jar and place in a cool, dark place for approximately 3 months. Voila!!!! Blackberry Gin - delicious!!!! It will be ready and ideal at Xmas!!!
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 08:40 PM

UJ. I dont like Gin - not keen on any spirits really & Hubby is Diabetic & cant eat sugar & is on steroids so cant drink. I cant remember when I last had any alcohol - I think it was one drink of wine at my daughters at Christmas. Its not even worth me making Jam with them as he cant eat that either & it would last me for ever
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lynne darflin' - when you go picking again - you'll need about 2 Lb, wash them, put them in a kilner jar, pour a full bag of sugar over them, and buy the cheapest bottle of Gin you can get. Pour as much of the Gin over the fruit and sugar as possible to fill the kilner jar. With the handle of a wooden spoon, gently place inside the kilner jar and stir until the sugar has dissolved (this may take several days). When the sugar has thoroughly dissolved, return lid to kilner jar and place in a cool, dark place for approximately 3 months. Voila!!!! Blackberry Gin - delicious!!!! It will be ready and ideal at Xmas!!!
My Nanna used to make blackberry vinegar we had it as a tonic in hot water when we had a cold
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/blackberry-vinegar/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top