Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:44 PM

End of Life Care

On another thread the subject of funding end of life care came up.

How do you think it should be funded? One idea I suppose would be to cut foreign aid to countries that don't need it and fund everyone the same, but what would your choice be?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Re: End of Life Care

I think maybe Fiscals should be considered by folks not at the point of end of life care, for those that are then, in this region, ecclesiastical consideration should be paramount.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 05:01 AM

Hi Spitfire, would you translate that for me !
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 05:23 AM

Sometimes I feel this country is more concerned with the welfare of other countries than it is their own. Giving aid to others may be ok, but there are those in this country who need it more and have paid for this aid in taxes over their lifetime.

It seems wrong to give aid to people who don't need or want it, who use this aid not to help themselves, but to fund their own causes/wars/frivolous programmes when our own people are being forced into poverty through no fault of their own.

This whole issue needs seriously looking at.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
... ecclesiastical consideration should be paramount.
What is "ecclesiastical consideration"?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Graham,I think I am reffering to what might be called the "Bugger Bognor" moment (George V).
Globalization has meant that the whole planet is everyones back garden, as such, estabilished geographical boundaries don't seem to matter anymore, so, giving aid internationally, is maybe in everyones long term interest, who knows, only time will tell.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Ok Spitfire you win my vote for the member who talks double Dutch, I cannot understand a word of what you post.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Spitfire, would you translate that for me !
glad you asked that
I didn't dare.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 12:33 PM

I'm not too sure that we don't already have a good 'end of life care' service.
The aim of the medical services it seems to me, is to reduce the need for dying patients to go into hospital and to stay there until the end.
Home or hospices are deemed now, to be the best choices.
Improving support of palliative care, (being pain free is so important) and the nurses that do the caring are there because it is their choice of profession.

So I'm not sure what funding is needed or where it is failing.

I certainly think we should cut foreign aid...my friend lived in Africa for a few years...she was quite disgusted by the waste.. it is bedevilled by political corruption. Surely experience has shown that aid does not help the people who really need it. Humanitarian crises come one after another.
Ask African people..they don't want charity..they want to trade. Tourism would help too, there are some beautiful places to go to but mostly the adverts just show bad images.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
On another thread the subject of funding end of life care came up.

How do you think it should be funded? One idea I suppose would be to cut foreign aid to countries that don't need it and fund everyone the same, but what would your choice be?
I would go further than that Barry.

We are in the midst of massive fiscal belt tightening measures and it seems to me lunacy to maintain our overseas aid budget. The constancy of cuts to our own services including the NHS, Police, Fire Services, Armed forces, Education and so on does not show a scintilla of abating, yet the DFID seem to be relentlesly ploughing the same furrow that they set out on a couple of years ago.

It would be a little easier to stomach if the aid actually got to where it was intended. Take just one example, back in 2010 the DFID pledged on our behalf £510 million over the following 4 years to the Afghanistan National Development Strategy, the money to be directed through the Afghan Government, which by coincidence are reputed to be inherently corrupt.

Overseas aid far from helping others in distress would seem to be more useful in funding tyrants, warlords, corruption, drug production as well as the traffiking and crimes against humanity.

They that control this vast expenditure would have us believe that it is to keep us safe and free from the threat of terrorism, what utter bilge and typical politician rhetoric.
Shutting the borders down and increasing our home security by re-employing those trained to do it would solve several issues at once.

I cited Afghanistan but that is far from the only cross to be born. We still fund projects in many places where it is unneccessary and in a few, unasked for.It is way past the time when the old adage 'Charity begins at home' is bought back to life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top