Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 01:25 AM

Texting and walking injuries climb

This video shows a man walking off the subway platform while on his phone and other distracted walking accidents.

I caught myself texting while walking from my car to the grocery store, through the parking lot with cars driving by. No more!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 02:27 AM

Re: Texting and walking injuries climb

Forgive me but, as a person who no longer possesses a mobile phone, I have to respond to this.

Even when I had a mobile, I never once used it on the street, in my car or any other public place, mainly because I considered my phone calls to be private and not public so that others could over-hear, but not just for that reason.

As to texting and phone calls. I have watched young women pushing a baby buggy with her stomach whilst having a cigarette in one hand, yapping on the phone with the other hand, and a toddler behind her, giving no thoughts at all when crossing roads. I have lost count of how many people I've seen walking along totally oblivious to what's around them, without paying due care and attention to traffic and other pedestrian users.

I've almost run people over who have been talking on their mobiles and stepped out into the road in front of me.

What is wrong with people these days?

My theory: It is a FACT that people speaking on mobile phones are subjecting themselves to microwave radiation into their heads which is causing them lower concentration levels.

I remember once using my mobile phone chatting to a friend for a good length of time because my landline was faulty and, when we finished our call, the left side of my head was red hot. I only did that once and never again.

Plus, I think mobile phones are fine if used properly but, they have to be the most anti-social piece of equipment ever invented.

How many of you have been in nice company, at dinner or other social gathering and you've been in good conversation and your phone rings. I'll bet a penny to a pound that you stop the conversation to answer your phone. If it's vital i.e. someone has been taken to hospital or died, fair enough, but if somebody just wants to chat, then to me it's very rude to ignore the people in your immediate company.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 05:32 AM

As a mere man who can only do one thing at a time I have to sit down to use my mobile otherwise I would fall over.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Texting should be outlawed, it is ruining the art of conversation, ruining languages and it will be a huge debt on the NHS with all the injuries that it causes and the thumb problems in later life.

In fact ban mobile phones, they are the most anti-social invention ever plus they are reducing the number of public telephones which some people depend on.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 09:59 AM

I get sick and tired of people texting and looking at their phones when they are walking along the street instead of looking where they are going. Its particularly bad in London so anyone who has an accident while doing that only has themself to blame.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 11:26 AM

It happens all too frequently nowadays and I'm sure we've all seen it, but people can't seem to go anywhere without clutching their phone.... how ever did we manage before the damned things were invented...
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 01:18 PM

I have never send a text in my life, mainly because I've no idea of how to do it! It sets my teeth on edge when I see what language people use on texting, abbreviations etc.I have a pay as you go job, which is seldom used, so it would not distress me to much to see the back of it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 01:57 PM

It's almost unusual these days to see people not glued to their phones and texting. This girl gained fame from texting herself into a fountain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2L9g0reNo
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

I think they are a great invention and let's face it there is no going back, just forwards.

Although I have to agree they are grossly overused. Why on earth people feel the need to be in constant communication with each other is beyond me.
I do take it with me where ever I go but use it rarely. I do recieve many more calls and texts than I send. If I do get either, I don't carry on walking, I stop to answer because I know I would walk into something or some one.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2012, 05:04 PM

I hardly ever use my mobile phone, I have texted on it but it takes me ages to do a text.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top