Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Call Me Silly ... But

I'm feeling a little sad.

I know some people consider squirrels to be vermin and it's true they can be destructive but I had a little chap come into my garden everyday to nick food from the bird feeder.
A sprightly little fella, very young, perhaps only born this year.

Earlier on I found him in the road. Must have been hit by a car. Oh ... I know it's the nature of the world and these things happen but I buried him in my garden with a small bunch of flowers. I shall miss watching him scampering around the lawn.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Re: Call Me Silly ... But

You are not silly, it's sad. We have been watching a group of sparrows feeding young. Today there where feathers all over the garden, the sparrow hawk has struck again.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Morty there's nothing silly in the way you felt about that poor creature. It lived, it probably had a little family that would miss it, and it thought. It shows how gentle-natured you are and have a great love of animals, so there's nothing silly at all about that.

Now this probably does sound daft, but the other night I was in my kitchen and I noticed a butterfly struggling, then I realised that a spider had caught it in its web. I watched the spider move in for the kill and I so wanted to help the butterfly, but it was too late.

It is the nature of the world, as you say, and nothing can ever change that,
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 06:40 AM

I spent my childhood tearing up and down the roads chasing Rag and Bone Men who sat on the backs of the carts and little horses carrying them in carts, I ran along shouting abuse at them to walk the lazy... oh yes my language was rife, and people compained to my Grannie about it.I accosted everyone who looked like they were illtreating their animals. Manchester was highly relieved when we moved to Garstang.When on holiday in NYorkshire we saw some filming of Herriot and they were giving the Bull drugs to keep him calm while the Actors did the film. I played havoc and ruined the shoot,it was a disgrace the Bull could hardly stand up so the Actors could look good at what they were doing.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Awww that's sad, There are a few Red Squirrels coming back to the Woods where I walked my Maggie and Pashka. Paskha lived to chase them and as she was getting old and not fast she lumbered along. The Squirrels seemed to know she wouldn't harm them and used to play with her lol. They kept just out of her reach and chattered at her. When they saw us coming along the Trail they came down from the Trees all ready for the Game. I always sat on a Fallen Tree and watched.....it became a Daily Routine lol.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 10:23 AM

a friend rang me up last night and in the middle of a sentence said "It's dead, the kitten, I thought it was asleep but it's dead" I asked what he was talking about and he said he'd reached over to stroke the sleeping kitten only to find it dead, then he said "It's dead too Snowey's kittens dead too" One was 8 weeks old, one was 12 weeks old, both seemed fine in the morning both dead later. He has no money for a PM to be done so will never know why they died, but I know he'll be very upset cos 'they're only babies'. I call him a silly old stick but in the nicest possible way.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 11:04 AM

I would never call anyone silly for having love and compassion for animals. Animals have feelings too, they feel pain, they feel fear and they obviously feel love for their young ones, taking greater care of their babies than do many humans. I always feel sad when I pass animals run over on the road, it's something I hate to see, unfortunately I see it too often.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

31-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Nothing silly about it morticia..............every living creature has a right to a life and its sad when one of them dies.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Not silly at all. My mom feeds squirrels at the park and her favourite has been missing for a couple of weeks. We'll likely never know what happened to it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 03:13 PM

We have a family of 'urban' squirrels that live in the bushes and trees t'other side of the main road from me. I quite often see them scampering across the rooves of the houses in the next street to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top