Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Printers

What printer does everyone use? Inkjet or laser? do you use compatible inks or toner ..or prefer to stick to the printer manufactures originals?

I had a couple of Epsons, one after the other, that were always suffering from clogged inkjets because I didn't use the printer frequently enough (ink dried out in the nozzles). I gave up on the constant cleaning the nozzles needed and bought a Canon. This broke mechanically after about 18 months.

I resolved not to buy another expensive printer and bought an inexpensive Brother printer/scanner/copier instead. Not the best specification maybe but it has proved very reliable.

I just started buying compatible ink cartridges for it instead of manufactures originals. I got a big blob of black ink on the first print tried but all seems well since then.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Re: Printers

I also used the Epson brand of inkjet printers mainly because back in the early days the performance I got from a plain black ink one was great.

I found that both the colour ones I bought suffered the same problem as Mart plus the ink usage and cost was very high.

I have had a cheap HP all-in-one printer for a long time now and it still works very well even using remanufactured cartridges.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 11:58 AM

I have an Epson Photo Stylus printer, which I use mainly to print off run of the mill stuff, not photos. If I want to use Epson original cartridges, I'm looking at £25 each for black and colour. Needless to say, one has to opt for compatibles for about £1.50 each. The quality does vary a bit, and you do have to do a nozzle check and clean every now and again.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 01:30 PM

I use a Samsung laser printer/copier/scanner for black and greyscale and a cheap HP for colour. Toner cartridges for colour are so expensive it's almost better to buy a new printer. I don't do much in colour.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 05:12 PM

I havent got a printer, too expensive to have hanging about as I dont use it much at all. Does that make sense! probabley not.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 05:18 PM

I have a Canon MG6100 a Christmas present from my son. I haven't used it a lot and really need to explore all the features when I can find the time .

It is wireless controlled and receives instructions upstairs from my laptop downstairs. When I have used it to scan and print it has been very good. I would guess the ink is expensive but I was given spare cartridges so it should last me a while
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I havent got a printer, too expensive to have hanging about as I dont use it much at all. Does that make sense! probabley not.
It maybe can do. I think the printing service offered by machines in supermarkets is fairly good. Or take photos to a shop that offers a printing service. Their printers are professional ones, better than the ones we might buy. All that need s doing is to take the photos to the shop on a USB stick. If a printer isn't required very often, then using a service is an option that could be considered. I don't think it is too expensive.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 06:43 PM

We have a Kodak printer/copier/scanner which was ridiculously cheap, although the inks, like most of the other makes, cost an arm and a leg. Thankfully we don't need to use it much these days but it is still handy to have around...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 06:52 PM

We have always bought inkjet colour printers and e have had a couple of HP printer,scanner, copiers which lasted well, but the inks were expensive.
Then we bought a Kodak inkjet colour p.s.c. mainly because they advertised that the inks were cheaper than other makes. Although they are cheaper, I don't think the printer iteself is a patch on the HP ones we had, but as Barry says they are cheap printers (at least ours was) so I suppose you get what you pay for. It will do for us.
I always buy the specific inks for the printer because I don't trust others to do the job and not using the inks which go with the printer invalidates any warranty + I can't be bothered to look around for alternatives.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 11:21 PM

I've had a couple of Epsons...the one I use now is fine.I use inks bought off the net at silly money which do a perfectly acceptable job.With photos I find the paper quality as important as the inks,if not more.
Once a week I run a multi coloured print off and if necessary a clean nozzle programme...ink use no problem as they are so cheap.It'll do me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top