Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:47 AM

What security programs?

What security programs do you use and why did you choose them?

I prefer to use Security Suites and have been running Norton Internet Security (NIS) for a few years without problems, although I'm now starting to lean towards Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS). I feel that browsers open a little more quickly. KIS always gets good ratings.

Also using a program called Sandboxie that stops the computer becoming infected with drive-by malware.

One more measure used is a malware filtering DNS server rather than the one supplied by the ISP. This offers a layer of protection without having to install anything.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Re: What security programs?

I only use free ones. I don't like Norton anyway and if pooter's come with it installed I always uninstall. AVC is very good but I had a conflict with it and a weblink I use to access my work e-mail from home so one of our IT guys installed another free one which he thought was better and I've forgotten what its called now. Will have a look tonight. No need to pay for anything thats for sure.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 10:44 AM

On the Desktop PC we have Commodo - its a free one that my Stepson whose a Computer genius recomends. On my laptop I have Kaspersky that I also get free via Barclays online banking site. I prefer Kaspersky to Commodo for my own PC
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 11:51 AM

I've used Kaspersky's for a few years and had no problems with it at all. It's always being updated and reliable. I used to have Norton's years ago, but I was put off by some reviews saying it was only 80% effective, their updater is unreliable and full of bugs which they refuse to fix and uninstalling it is an absolute nightmare - quicker to reinstall Windows. Even their own uninstaller doesn't remove it.

There is no way I could use free virus checks. They are hardly ever updated, give false positives and miss genuine viruses and issues. Ok if you're desperate...but avoid if possible.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I've used Kaspersky's for a few years and had no problems with it at all. It's always being updated and reliable. I used to have Norton's years ago, but I was put off by some reviews saying it was only 80% effective, their updater is unreliable and full of bugs which they refuse to fix and uninstalling it is an absolute nightmare - quicker to reinstall Windows. Even their own uninstaller doesn't remove it.

There is no way I could use free virus checks. They are hardly ever updated, give false positives and miss genuine viruses and issues. Ok if you're desperate...but avoid if possible.
Sorry Graham I can't agree with you both AVC and the one I have now are constantly updated and recommended by people who work in IT. Its a waste of money having those you pay for as far as I am concerned.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 02:35 PM

We've tried most of the well known names over the years, but we have had McAfee installed for about three years now and are very pleased with it. We pay around £35 in total each year for three licences...
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 09:20 PM

don't need one as i have a Mac, but my oh,uses McAfee and has always been pleased with it, before i got my Mac i used McAfee.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2012, 07:38 AM

Charts published by AV testing companies give a guide as to how much protection security programs give. Fortunes vary from month to month but there are some that look to do consistently well when tested by various testing sites. These are BitDefender, Kaspersky and surprisingly, Symantec (Norton).

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/marapr-2012/ (March - April results)

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ (AV-Test Homepage)

Norton isn't the poor program of years ago that seems to have set people's opinions of it for life. It has become much better at protection and lighter on computer resources since the 2009 version.

Norton can still be difficult to remove from a system but is it possible without formatting/reinstalling. Other security programs can be the same regarding uninstallation. They too need their removal tools and even after using them, there can still be left-overs. Perhaps a good security program shouldn't be very easy to get rid of. It needs to protect itself from malware tampering with it. If a user can easily get at and remove deeper parts of a security program, then malware could conceivably do it as well.

Whatever AV program or Security Suite is used, none are perfect. The fact that a user has never been infected may only mean that they haven't yet come across the malware that can bypass their chosen program. Go to any forum dedicated to a particular security program and failure rates/false positives can be read about. Layers of security are generally reckoned to be best. Then if one program doesn't catch the malware, another one hopefully will.

Regarding Macs, there are unfortunately instances of infection occurring lately. Macs don't yet get the huge number of attacks that Windows-based computers do but perhaps they aren't now the immune computers that they once were?
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2012, 12:40 PM

we have been paying for years now only free ones next week I getting a tablet so will have to start looking to see what I can do with it
free viras protection
The Dog Lover
Watford

26-07-2012, 08:33 PM

I am now running Avast at the recommendation of my IT guy at work. It upgrades every time I go on line. He says it is better than AVC and still free. All seems fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top