Join for free
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 07:32 PM

The Go-Between

By L.P. Hartley begins

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

I find these words running through my head so often these days, when I read the newspapers, watch the TV, observe people in the street.

I think I preferred the "foreign country" the one I grew up in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Re: The Go-Between

...Mav I loved the film of 'The Go Between ' .
I know what you mean, things are so different now, not all bad though, some things are better.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Re: The Go-Between

It was a lovely and traumatic read, as I remember. I'm going to put it on my list of 'things to read' again

I too know what you mean, I often think I'd like to go back to that foreign country. From a womans point of view, I remember things being harder, just generally in the home for instance. Not many labour saving devices then and I wouldn't want to do without them now!
Generally, I wouldn't want the gender or class distinctions of old either. So all in all, it's probably romantic nostalgia on my part and lots of things are better now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top