Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Tie pin.

My grandson wanted to wear a tie pin to his prom.
Not wanting to pay much money on a whim, for one night, we set out on a mission to find the old fashioned flat tie pin. We searched high and low without success. In the end our good neighbour came up with the goods. It appears that the tie pin is obsolete. Do any of you gents still own one?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Re: Tie pin.

Mal I bought my son a silver one to use when he was Usher at a wedding and for the school Prom, not sure where it is now or if he has worn it since.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Yes, unusual these days to see them, I've still half a dozen or so somewhere in the wardrobe, but like most folks I only seem to wear a shirt and tie to weddings and funerals these days...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Not wanting to pay much money on a whim, for one night, we set out on a mission to find the old fashioned flat tie pin. We searched high and low without success. In the end our good neighbour came up with the goods. It appears that the tie pin is obsolete. Do any of you gents still own one?
Yes Mall darlin' I have a tie pin - you mainly get them as part of a set with cuff links. Dragon bought me a set a couple of years ago for my birthday.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Shops must love the prom season. Parent are paying a lot of money for suits, shoes, prom dresses, for one night.
Some teenagers family's cannot afford to buy these items. So their child misses out. Even though it's probably the last time these teenagers may get together, and it will be a nice night out.

I don't know what was wrong with the end of year dance, to which all teenagers could go to, in clothes that will be worn after the dance.
I spent all day last week looking for a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. After the price of ticket, transport, spending money, this goes into the hundreds.

Sorry for being a moan, but I feel for the teenagers who have missed out because their parent do not have the money. I know some of my sons friends have missed out.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
They stopped making them in gold and silver ages ago Mall, and like Joe said they usually came in sets with cufflinks, today customers would have to place a special order to have one made up, who knows, they might make a comeback like earrings, they went out and came back again, no sign of the old charm bracelet and single charm buying coming back, they were very popular and handy for Christmas and birthday presents. Gone too are the pearl rings of the 60's and the dress rings with the birthstones. Over here the best seller by far is the Claddagh ring, (the one with the two hands clasped around a heart) it's been around for hundreds of years and never went out of fashion.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
Shops must love the prom season. Parent are paying a lot of money for suits, shoes, prom dresses, for one night.
Some teenagers family's cannot afford to buy these items. So their child misses out. Even though it's probably the last time these teenagers may get together, and it will be a nice night out.

I don't know what was wrong with the end of year dance, to which all teenagers could go to, in clothes that will be worn after the dance.
I spent all day last week looking for a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. After the price of ticket, transport, spending money, this goes into the hundreds.

Sorry for being a moan, but I feel for the teenagers who have missed out because their parent do not have the money. I know some of my sons friends have missed out.
Moan away. I agree entirely.

It's yet another import we could have well done without.

It's getting really silly, with the parents spending daft amounts of money trying to outdo each other.
At my niece's prom, a group turned up in a fire engine and another in a tank.

I feel for the kids who can't go because they must feel like Cinderella. I don't know who is responsible for organising these affairs but it's time they took stock of what is important and had some consideration for the less fortunate who will miss out.

My niece's prom was held at school instead of a fancy, overpriced venue. But still the parents went over the top with transport and outfits.

My grandson's group are going on a double decker bus, at the cost of £25 per head, for goodness sake. Then the venue is £49. I have no idea what his clothing cost, I think I prefer not to know But I had no intention of adding to the cost by paying out more money for a tie pin.
If you are the parents of a girl it must cost a small fortune for her to glam up for the evening.
mesco m
manchester

06-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
They stopped making them in gold and silver ages ago Mall, and like Joe said they usually came in sets with cufflinks, today customers would have to place a special order to have one made up, who knows, they might make a comeback like earrings, they went out and came back again, no sign of the old charm bracelet and single charm buying coming back, they were very popular and handy for Christmas and birthday presents. Gone too are the pearl rings of the 60's and the dress rings with the birthstones. Over here the best seller by far is the Claddagh ring, (the one with the two hands clasped around a heart) it's been around for hundreds of years and never went out of fashion.
We did find one in a jewellers in Bury but I was not prepared to spend a lot of money for one evening. I think it must have been a blast from the past because I remember my dad having one of the same design

As you say Jem these things are out of fashion. I remember having a birthstone ring that my parents bought for me.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Yes, I have to agree, this proms business is all imported..an end of term disco would be fine. My grandson is very difficult to buy for, but because of his disabilities my daughter was determined that he was going to have a suit, waistcoat, dickie bow, cufflinks etc., for his prom night. Dad took him in his weekend car an Austin Healey Sprite.. I have a picture of him posing by the side of it
Hubby has a tie pin, I bought it for him when we married - it is in the shape of a shield - it will be passed down..can't see it ever being worn again though
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2012, 07:32 AM

I have several Tie Pins of different styles and for different occasions, one which was given to me by a member of the Royalty at a Presentation gig and has my own family crest on it.
Never wear them though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top