Join for free
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 07:01 PM

job interview

Today at 10.0 clock i got a phone call from a Job agency advising me of a Job Vacancy ...it all sounded good ..work i could do.... in my area......reasonable wages and hours etc ...there was only 1 problem ....The Interview....He wanted me to attend a interview for 3 o clock today ...I said that was fine expecting it to be local ....NO way was it ...It was in a town called St Albans over 90 mls from me ...that left me 5 hours to have a shower press my trousers and shirt clean my shoes pump up the tyres on my bike and get there ......I reluctantly decided against it ......I think there was something fishy going on .....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Re: job interview

Not possible by public transport? Although it would probably be a lot of hassle.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Bus Taxi etc to train station ..Train into London then train out to st Albums ..then bus or Taxi to Interview you are right a lot of hassle and maybe not possible at such short notice and bloody expensive ...If i had more notice i could have done it.....But on a lighter note I applied for 3 jobs in the last 24 hours got turned down for one straight away waiting to hear from the others....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
Bus Taxi etc to train station ..Train into London then train out to st Albums ..then bus or Taxi to Interview you are right a lot of hassle and maybe not possible at such short notice and bloody expensive ...If i had more notice i could have done it.....But on a lighter note I applied for 3 jobs in the last 24 hours got turned down for one straight away waiting to hear from the others....
Do you not drive then Steve?? Given your previous occupation it must have been very difficult to get round to jobs. St Albans not that far from me but a long way from Ipswich by public transport.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Perhaps they were thinking - "if this chap can travel 90 miles and get here with only 5 hour's notice he must be keen and worth a try". Maybe that was the test and they would have given you the job - or maybe they just didn't think - who knows. Perhaps if they don't fill the post they will come back to you with another interview date. Fingers crossed.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

05-07-2012, 05:04 PM

I did think about that...... I do drive but my car is sick at the moment as i did explain to the agency........however it is a Rover and is showing signs of a failing Head Gasket, I cant do that myself ....I dont dare risk it on a long journey..... even on short hops I have to keep filling up the radiator so till i get it checked professionally i cant risk making it worse or breaking it terminally . I have someone who can do it but it will cost nearly £400 .... If i had got 24 hours notice i could have got something sorted via the joke centre
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 05:11 PM

My cars have all been almost new, but there's no way I would have driven 90 miles for a job interview, especially if it was only agency work.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top