Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Why the fighting recently?

It seems a pity but recently this site seems to be changing from a relaxed place to a bit of a battlefield at times. Why so much bitterness? Having different beliefs/opinions is normal and should encourage informed debate but not personal attacks. It is sad that we seem to be losing the art of effective communication.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Re: Why the fighting recently?

Ania I am afraid most forums can appear like that from time to time when different personalities join.

If you think someone has made a really person attack don't hesitate to use the report post feature.
The other option is to avoid replying to anyone you think is being deliberately rude or unpleasant.

It is possible to discuss any subject politely and amicably without resorting to personal abuse.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 11:53 AM

No problem, Meg, I am not getting involved with the unpleasantness, just observing it with some sadness.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Hi Guys - although these threads are usually put in the Feedback Section, I have moved this one to the general chat section... just to serve as a reminder that this forum is meant to be a friendly forum

As Meg has mentioned, sometimes it's just best to ignore someone rather than get drawn into a 'fight'.

If you feel someone has gone too far or broken the rules - please use the report post link to let us know. A mod can then review the post.

Or if you feel that someone just winds you up too much, you can put them on your ignore list.

Over50sforum has always been a friendly forum - lets try and keep it that way
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

04-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks, Azz.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 03:32 PM

I love it here, and to be honest I haven't seen any nastiness, friendly banter with a difference of opinion is not a fight.
Keep it up it's great.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 03:42 PM

The way I see it is some folks just love to have a go at each other, some others set out to annoy and provoke, it's the same on all forums and you will always get it, human nature being what it is.
As for myself, I try to avoid subjects that are bound to cause arguments and then lead on to personal insults, after all what's the point, we can't change the World and nobody really cares who wins or loses the argument.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 04:02 PM

The same thing happened on Friends Reunited from time to time. Usually the troublemakers didn't last 5 minutes when it became obvious to them that their attitude was unwelcome. I was once the target of a couple of ladies' venom because I refered to one of them as "my dear"! Said in all innocence I might add.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
The same thing happened on Friends Reunited from time to time. Usually the troublemakers didn't last 5 minutes when it became obvious to them that their attitude was unwelcome. I was once the target of a couple of ladies' venom because I refered to one of them as "my dear"! Said in all innocence I might add.
Oh I know Alan, some ladies are very touchy about the "my dear" thing, and all a man is trying to do is be polite, us older fella's have to be careful.
I do however know one or two chaps who would love to be called 'My Dear".
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

04-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Why is it I feel as if most are looking in my direction --- I am a new member -- I do go on the forums--- and I am not afraid of putting my point of view over as strong as I posible can, I enjoy a good arguement. That said, I have been called several "bad" things such as ----- a Nazi sympathiser --- ohh and a few other things. To be honest, names roll off me like water off a ducks back, but what does get me is when it appears those you are arguing with can't, for whatever reason, get the better of you because you answer all their questions with the same verbosity as they treat you, they then either go running to admin saying ---000oohhh he's being nasty , and he's a newbie, so that must make him a troublemaker, and I then get "memo" from admin saying what a naughty boy I am.

Well all I can say is, if you REALLY want a healthy vibrant forum, then those that can't stand the heat shouldn't really be in the kitchen, if you come onto a forum to play games, ---- etc etc then go to the rooms where you can enjoy these pleasures you seek, don't 'surf" into rooms that you wouldn't normally go, it'll upset you and you'll think all us newbies are horrible nasties, when in fact we are enjoying the rooms we use and don't bother with yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top