Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 12:00 AM

I hate the 4th of July!

I can hear all the rednecks telling me to leave the country. Who could possibly hate America's 4th of July?

I hate being sent off to Vietnam being lied to that we were there to stop the spread of communism. Sound familiar? I bought that crap and served my country for 4 years.

Now, 30 years later I'm forced to buy clothing produced by communist countries like China, Vietnam & Cambodia. What the hell did our children die for then? We owe more money to China than any other country. They don't have to attack us, they already own us.

Have a happy 4th of July everyone.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Re: I hate the 4th of July!

Discouraging when you think of it, yes, and you make good points. But you do still live in a good country, as do I.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 04:23 PM

A happy 4th of July to you anyway Bob. I can understand your anger about risking your life and then being sold down the river, there is no such thing as a truthful politician, my Daddy always said that and I never forgot it.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Happy July4 Bob.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 11:01 PM

I hope you've had a good day, Bob .....
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hope you've had a good day, Bob .....
I've had a great day all. It started with my friends at McDonald's. I walked home from there and hopped on my scooter for a 200 miles ride around Mt. Hood, stopping for fresh Ranier cherries straight from the orchard. I then stopped for a traditional Barbecue lunch at a local restaurant recommended by the farm. It was all delicious.

The day was beautiful for a ride and I managed a handful of "keeper" photographs. Mt Hood still had plenty of snow on it even though we were comfortably warm in the valley.

Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Glad you had a good day Bob!

I came across this and thought I'd post it for you, considering your original comment in this thread:
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:28 AM

I agree with your post. Bob. The over the top celebrations and bombastic phoney patriotism of July 4th is just horrible. I've been down to the States many times and what strikes me is the huge difference between actual Americans and the way America and Americans are portrayed in the media.
Americans are by and large good, warm, friendly people whereas a casual observer from outside would get the impression of xenophobic radicalism and that just isn't the case.
I'm glad you had a good day, Bob and I've been to Portland and environs many times. It's a beautiful part of the country and is there any better treat than those Ranier cherries?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top