Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

01-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Do you eat out ?

Living as I do in the south west of France I am more used to dining out at lunchtime as opposed to an evening meal. The reason for this is the traditional French one and a half, to two hour lunch break, A lot of French people go to restaurants / routiers/ bars for what is called a ---Plat du Jour --- ( plate of the day).

This consists of of a three / four course meal, usually with wine and coffee, all at a set price, usually around 12/15 Euros, (10/ 12 pounds a head). In the six years I have lived here I never experienced a "bad meal", but there are one or two things you have to get used to >>> (1) A reservation is normally required, (2) You have to be patient in waiting for the food to arrive, the waiter/ waitress will guide you to your seat, will hand you the menu and ask if you would like an aperitif, you are then left to mull over the menu and wait for your turn to order (3) When the first course arrives and is eaten you then wait again, it is all very leisurely and takes a lot of getting used to.

The reason being the averge restaurant regards the booking of your table as your table for the rest of the lunchtime, not quick "bums on seats" as in the U.K. and the meal is a very leisurely event. The food is also cooked AFTER it has been ordered, nothing pre cooked and warmed up and certainly in small restaurants very very little comes out of a tin or a freezer. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules but I have not yet experienced it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Re: Do you eat out ?

Hi Jonsey, yes we go for a pub lunch every week, mostly on Thursday, then we go and do our weekly shop.We usually pay about £7 for two courses and I have a pint (of real ale if they have it) and Sheila has an orange and lemonade. The total bill with tip is generally about £20. With regard to waiting for your food, nothing annoys me more than slow service so I would be no good in your restaurants.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Alan,

I used to feel the same way regarding waiting time, but now I'm used to it, but is quite funny at times as you can nearly always tell a U.K. holidaymaker in a restaurant, they are the ones trying to get "the eye" of the waiter/ waitress and getting "HUFFY" at their "ignorance".

I tried putting a picture on this post, but can't see how to, perhaps I can't --- ahhh never mind --- I can wait lolol.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
Alan,

I used to feel the same way regarding waiting time, but now I'm used to it, but is quite funny at times as you can nearly always tell a U.K. holidaymaker in a restaurant, they are the ones trying to get "the eye" of the waiter/ waitress and getting "HUFFY" at their "ignorance".

I tried putting a picture on this post, but can't see how to, perhaps I can't --- ahhh never mind --- I can wait lolol.
This link will explain how to post your photos on the forum, Jonsey

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=14
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 04:39 PM

Yes we like to eat out, at least once a week if possible, i do tend to get frustrated waiting for long time between courses.

I am also very picky about what i like to eat, i don't like pre cooked foods or frozen veg, my OH is used to returning food that is not to my liking, as far as i am concerned if i am paying good money i expect the best.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 07:20 PM

We eat out at least once a week, more if we have friends over. Occasionally we'll have menu del dia at lunchtime, like France here it is a very leisurely affair and average cost is 7-12 euros for 3 courses including a drink and always a big dish of salad. Mostly though we eat out at night because I am rarely hungry during the day and can never manage a 3 course meal at lunchtime.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Yes, we eat out about once a week too. I quite like a carvery because I don't have to wait..I like to eat when I'm hungry. I also drink with my meals, whether it is water/wine/coffee and I'd be grumpy waiting so long for service.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 08:54 PM

I cant remember the last time we had a meal out Hubby says its not as good as my cooking It would be nice to be able to walk away from the table without having to wash up once in awhile though. The only times he has a "meal" out is a bacon butty from his favourite cafe in Birkenhead when he goes on the Mersey
We dont have take aways either If I dont cook it we dont eat it
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Never eat out. Have a cooked meal at tea time, but on a Friday I give myself a night off cooking and have a chippy tea
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Am I the only one who thought this was going to be about something else?
Answer to that: yes, frequently.
Answer to the actual question: no, hardly at all. My girlfriend is an excellent cook.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top