Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Longest Day Of The Year Today...

... and I am sitting here with the lights on because it is so dark and as usual absolutly tipping it down.
The nights will slowly start pulling in after today. Where are our lovely long summer evenings where we can sit outside till late enjoying the weather. I think I heard on the radio something about this is the wettest summer on Record, which doesn't surprise me as it started raining at the beginning of April and apart from the odd sporadic nice day it has rained since.
I certainly havn't packed away my winter clothes this year and havn't got out all my summer ones, just the odd thing if needed.
Surely it all has to stop soon, you spend months in dark dismal weather looking forward to long summer days and this is what you get.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Re: Longest Day Of The Year Today...

And what a miserable day it is too, downhill all the way to winter now!
Dalesman2
lancashire
Dalesman2 is male  Dalesman2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Yes miserable isn't it.

When I was a lad I remember when winter was winter with snow and ice, snowballs, snowmen and sledging etc.

Summer was summer with long hot sunny days and weeks spent roaming the countryside miles away from home without a care in the world.

Has it really changes that much or is it my warped memories.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Happy solstice everyone, let's just hope the druids at Stonehenge have a Packamac with them.....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dalesman2 ->
Yes miserable isn't it.

When I was a lad I remember when winter was winter with snow and ice, snowballs, snowmen and sledging etc.

Summer was summer with long hot sunny days and weeks spent roaming the countryside miles away from home without a care in the world.

Has it really changes that much or is it my warped memories.
My school summer holidays were spent on the beach, our mother would kick us out after breakfast with a packed lunch and not expect to see us again until our evening meal. The summers were invariably hot and sunny on my island home, but not so any longer, although it is a bit warmer than in the UK.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:55 AM

We managed to spend a couple of hours sat outside last night on the longest night of the year.
We were tidying the garden up dead heading flowers, tying the tomato plants up and then with a hot drink watching the solar lights coming on in the garden.
No sooner had we finished and i was sat with one of my cats looking round when the rain started and we had to run in.
At least i got to spend some time outside after a long day at work
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 11:12 AM

I always like to take Bonnie out for a very late walk on the longest day of the year, weather permitting, but from memory the last few years has rained so haven't bothered. Am hoping that I can go out tonight.

I hate it when the nights start drawing in and still wondering if we are ever going to get a summer this year!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 11:33 AM

We had the patio doors open until late in the evening

It always rains during Glastonbury and Wimbledon

Apparently, "waves" in the jet stream which moves weather systems across Britain mean areas of low pressure have lasted longer and created far more rain than normal - can't say that knowing this has helped my mood.
And again, in the same article.......
The torrential rain seen across much of Britain was due to the combination of this "sluggish jet stream, a very moist atmosphere and the time of year" But..we might see some warm weather again in July. (oh thank you for that small crumb)

I need someone to blame...it will have to be the government
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 01:59 PM

It was actually a lovely Evening up in the North Yeaterday, we took the Clydesdales out about 9pm and went through the Woods and then for a Gallop on Dunnet Head Beach, walked them home and it was still light at 11.15pm when we got in. Lovely. Todays dull, Dank and Dreary....sigh.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:01 PM

It is so dull and dreary here that the longest day will not happen ...... we'll be lighting up early this evening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top