Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Cartagena

Today I have been in Cartagena a place I love, I think it is a beautiful city. Always a lot of restoration work going on restoring the beautiful buildings back to their former glory. It is mostly a naval city and of course big connections with Hannibal who started his journey over the Alps from here. There are many excavation sites in Cartagena and it's amazing what they uncover, mostly from Roman times. Every year there is a big fiesta, The Romans and Carthaginians, very spectacular. They re-enact the battles, the wedding of Hannibal and they put together a Roman camp, you have to see this to believe it, it's like being transported back in time. You can see some of it here:

http://www.cartaginesesyromanos.es/

Click on la fiestas, you will see the English flag at the left hand side so it will translate.

Here are some photos I took today (I also got a little more sunburned than intended, haha, it was very very hot).

The Peral Submarine, supposedly the first working submarine.

City Hall

Monument to various organisations

One of the excavation sites currently being worked. Unfortunately you are not allowed to go poking around but we could see walls and pillars and various other bits and pieces.

The port again
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Re: Cartagena

Sorry something gone a bit wrong, photobucket is being really difficult.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

20-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Hope this works, photobucket won't highlight, it's always got to be difficult with something.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Looks a grand day out Loretta, and smashing photos. It also seems to be a real interesting place, and I must put it on my list of places to visit some time...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 07:17 PM

It looks a lovely place, Loretta .... so clean looking and tidy.

I feel envious of your lovely blue sky and sea over there ...... you must get through a lot of sun block through the year!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 07:24 PM

An interesting looking place Loretta it is nice to see a bit of blue sky and sea instead of clouds and rain..
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Meg's right, it is nice to see the clear blue sky. Been nice here today for a change.
Looks like a nice place.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Enjoyed the pictures Loretta, especially the one showing the excavation site..I would enjoy 'poking' around in there
Glad you had a good day out.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

20-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanks everyone. We did have a lovely day, my friend and I gave the shops a miss today and went for a bit of culture instead. There are some wonderful historic places to visit in Cartagena and some great museums too but impossible to do them all in a day. Fortunately we don't live too far from there so we can go when we want and it's easier to go by bus, no hassle getting in and out or parking then and the bus fares are very cheap.
Trouble is there are so many lovely towns, cities and villages to explore we have to space them out. Then there are the fiestas, honestly it's a hard life here
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:44 AM

Eeeeh, I just feel like I've been on me holidays. Lovely photos.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top