Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 12:47 AM

Wildflowers On My Path

I was returning on my one mile walk from McDonald's this morning when the wildflowers along the way caught my attention. I rarely leave home without a camera and today was no exception. I had my pocket digital Leica V-LUX 20 so I framed away and captured these, a nice addition to my wildflower collection. I managed to identify this flower, with the help of a lady from a British photographic forum, known as the Rose of Sharon or Hypericum calycinum in scientific terminology.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 05:51 AM

Re: Wildflowers On My Path

I'm always snapping wild flowers when I'm out walking Bob, I think they've looked particularly good this year.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Beautiful as always Bob ......Is that Rose of Sharon ?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Angler ->
Beautiful as always Bob ......Is that Rose of Sharon ?
I haven't a clue. I sure could use some help identifying them. I just looked up Rose of Sharon and here's an example of two. It sure might be since the Wikipedia information says the term Rose of Sharon represents a variety of flowers. One photo they showed matches it exactly. You're a genius, thanks. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)

Rose of Sharon (Hypericum calycinum)

clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Beautiful photograph and such a lovely flower.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the link Bob I was only aware of the yellow variety but have now learned Rose of Sharon comes in many colours.Thanks.....
bobmielke
Portland, OR

16-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the link Bob I was only aware of the yellow variety but have now learned Rose of Sharon comes in many colours.Thanks.....
Thank you for identifying them. Can you recognize this flower?

Lady Angler
Lancashire

17-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Sorry Bob.......My knowledge of plants is a bit limited, compared to some, however I've done a quick Google and the only similar picture I can find is of a Rosa Gallica but I couldn't say for certain that's correct.Maybe some other member's might recognise it.......

bobmielke
Portland, OR

17-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Sorry Bob.......My knowledge of plants is a bit limited, compared to some, however I've done a quick Google and the only similar picture I can find is of a Rosa Gallica but I couldn't say for certain that's correct.Maybe some other member's might recognise it.......

You very well have nailed it. The leaves match as well. Thanks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top