Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Songs that you sing

I often hum away to myself, or even sing if I don't think anyone can hear me. Walking the dog yesterday and I found myself humming a song which I had not heard or thought of for years. Not a pop song, but the beginning of a short opera which I was once involved in.
That made me wonder how these things come to us. Why that song then? There are lots of other bits of music that I often sing/hum, but this was completely out of the blue, and not associated with anything as far as I can tell.

Anyone else had this experience?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Re: Songs that you sing

Oh yes,I can wake up with any music in my head and it could stay with me all day, mostly have to say Irish songs and am amazed that I know most of the words.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 12:02 AM

I often have tunes from the musical 'Oklahoma!' stuck in my head... from a school drama production I took part in at the age of 14. I know one trigger is passing a field of corn - "the corn is as high as an elephant's eye..." and it's with me for the day.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Largo al Factotum (from Rossini's 'Barber of Seville'), Va Pensiera (from Verdi's Nabucco), Warshavianka, Seven Drunken nights, All sold for beer and tobacco (The Dubliners), Avanti Popolo, songs from Flannigan & Allan.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 08:01 AM

I wake up every day with a song in my head and start singing it. They range from Rock and roll to Musicals and from folk songs to Arias.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 09:12 AM

It is strange how songs come into your head for no apparent reason. Some little familiar thing must remind us and there it is. At the moment I can't get "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker out of my head - woke up with it this morning and it will likely be with me all day now. It's a catchy tune, but with slightly naughty lyrics.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 09:50 AM

We have the radio on at work, there is only two of us in the office so we can have the radio on all day and i sing along to what ever is playing.
I also wake up in the morning singing away it makes me wonder why the songs come into your head as you wake up.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 12:53 PM

When a song remains in your head for a long time, that's called an ear worm Strange name for it and I imagine it wiggling its way around inside the head!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Largo al Factotum (from Rossini's 'Barber of Seville'), Va Pensiera (from Verdi's Nabucco), Warshavianka, Seven Drunken nights, All sold for beer and tobacco (The Dubliners), Avanti Popolo, songs from Flannigan & Allan.
Quite the variety there!
windhound
Surrey,UK
windhound is female 

20-06-2012, 01:34 PM

I find myself singing "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" whilst driving just the right speed to drive to in London traffic,and very often Johnny Walkers programme on Radio 2 sets me off down memory lane,especially coming back home on the motorway from dogs shows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top