Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Patchy grass

Hi everybody, well as my past history will tell you I am a useless gardner. I do try and my latest problem is my lawn (well a bit of grass)! We had the garden sorted out last May by having it half flagged, some stones and thought a nice bit of grass would take the plainness off.

Well here is a photo taken today and as you can see my turf is not doing very well, unfortunately some of it we had to replace because it just went brown (and we didn't let the dog near it). But even the new turf has turned brown!

So before I decide whether to have the grass dug up and lay stones with a centre feature i.e. stone birdbath or similar. Please can you offer any advice on what to do to help my grass stay green. Also I would like some ideas on what to plant in the centre in the way of a flowering bush? Many thanks sorry to be longwinded. http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...1/SAM_0156.jpg
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Re: Patchy grass

Couldn't get your Photo up, if it's on Photo bucket then click the bottom link under the pic and it will copy, then paste it onto here
Link should come up Red once you Post it to the Thread.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Sorry and thanks for the info, I'm not very good on photos still learning!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 09:17 PM

There are many reasons for a brown lawn. Could be a fungal problem, leather jackets, chafer grub or animals.
It might just need a good feed or if it was waterlogged, the roots have simply rotted. I see you are north facing maybe it hasn't had a chance to dry or drain properly.
Is the soil is compacted underneath?
Might it be worth digging up the grass and re-turfing or re-seeding?
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..how about asking at the garden center.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

I'd have to go with new turf too.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 09:38 PM

It does look bad. Has it been mown while it was wet because it looks like the grass has been torn up, or has the lawn got poor drainage.

I would try seeding it and cover the seed with a light layer of top soil and gently firm the soil down. I have used this method after using a weed, feed and moss killer, that has left bald patches where the moss and weeds have died off.

If you choose to use that method, I would choose a lawn seed that is suitable for heavy traffic so the grass will be tougher.
Give it a feed twice a year and scarifying it once a year and aerate it once a year. And then hope for the best
Seriously though, good luck whatever you choose to do.
Edited to say. I would choose a Kilmarnock Willow for the centre of your lawn. They don't flower but produce the catkin type blooms in spring. They are an ideal low growing willow for the centre of a small area.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Before you try tearing it up and re-seeding, give urea fertilizer a try. It should have a 40-0-0 nitrogen content and water it well after application to avoid burning. It's an extreme measure but guaranteed to bring any grass back from the dead to a lush deep green.
I would also recommend mowing every second day during the initial growth spurt to keep it easy to control because it will grow quickly and very thick.
Good luck and if you have any urea left it makes a great ice and snow melter in the winter.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

06-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
Before you try tearing it up and re-seeding, give urea fertilizer a try. It should have a 40-0-0 nitrogen content and water it well after application to avoid burning. It's an extreme measure but guaranteed to bring any grass back from the dead to a lush deep green.
I would also recommend mowing every second day during the initial growth spurt to keep it easy to control because it will grow quickly and very thick.
Good luck and if you have any urea left it makes a great ice and snow melter in the winter.
If you try this first make sure it's safe for any Pets that are likely to wander onto it.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 03:45 PM

My lawn is very patchy too but thats cos I have 2 female dogs so there is no hope of it improving. I would rather have the girls than a perfect lawn so will have to put up with it
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

06-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Thank you all, really appreciate your advise. Will keep trying and use your advise, and if it doesn't improve then up it comes.

I have to admit that before we had it dug up and turfed the garden was a real mess (the previous owner did not do a thing with it). So we inherited it, I don't have much hope of saving it I think it's maybe what was underneath has affected it even though the guy that did the job is very reputable. He couldn't figure out why it has gone like it has, accept that the turf may have been diseased! He did replace the turf but it seems to have spread, after trying feed and the lawn patch stuff.

Hey well you can't win em' all.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top