Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Community work

I don't know if there's a thread on this already so my apologies if there is.

Are you involved in your community? Do you do any volunteer work?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Re: Community work

Not now but was in the WRVS and ran the clothing room in Gloucester for a few years. Then when we moved to Blackpool was chairman of Action for Epilepsy in Blackpool for a few years.Since moving here have done nothing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 07:58 PM

I am involved in a small way with the local youth club AJ, I have given classes on jewellery making for the past three years, most of the boys and girls are keen to learn and some are very promising, I have referred several on to former employers of mine and they are doing well.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I am involved in a small way with the local youth club AJ, I have given classes on jewellery making for the past three years, most of the boys and girls are keen to learn and some are very promising, I have referred several on to former employers of mine and they are doing well.
Nice that you have interested students! My son-in-law is working with a silversmith in Toronto and enjoying it.

When my kids were young I ran the local Brownie pack, volunteered with the Parent-Teacher Organization and was on the Block Parents committee. As they got older they joined me in volunteer work too - decorating trees for a hospital fundraiser every Christmas and other projects.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 07:17 AM

I volunteer two days a week at my local homeless shelter. Sometimes I'm a prep cook, sometimes a dishwasher but no matter what I'm doing it makes me feel like I'm making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Was a founder member of a neighbourhood Law Centre 38 years ago. Following the demise of the Law Centre after its funding was cut 17 years ago, I have continued to provide advice and representation at Courts and Tribunals working from home.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 10:56 AM

I worked as a voluntary relief Carer for the local council taking severely disabled children at the weekend so their parents could have a break. One couple hadn't been out for an evening together for 12 years .

I was also a Samaritan for 10 years .
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 12:12 PM

yes lots of it used to work with mentaly changed children as well as those in chiars
and ran a mother tots group crafts outings
opening day for co op agranging enertament bands food games that was 12 years ago
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 07:18 PM

I had forgotten about being in the cubs... I was Baloo.. the old grey bear... ok thats enough laughter.I was a Prison visitor and took a Blind child to London a few times back to her school, they were with the WRVS, arent Forums good for jogging your memory.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria

04-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Went to Buckinham Palace for afternoon tea for work with the Epilepsy Group, my daughter went with me and she kept saying oh he is nearly here(Prince Charles) and I had another small fit, she grabbed my hat and when it passed she banged it back on my head, God knows what I looked like by the time he came to us, anyway we had a chat about the Baby( prince William) and he was lovely.Oh yes her husband had Spina Bifida and was in a wheel chair so he parked outside the Hotel and Julie unpacked the car and brought him in and the car was surrounded by Police, it was the Greenpark bombing in London, he was told off for leaving the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top