Join for free
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Recipe Section

Does anybody read the Recipe Section which is a sticky at the top of here? I know a few folk put recipes here in Food & Drink, which will ultimately be lost as they drop down the board but, if put in the Recipe section, they're less likely to be forgotten about.

Just a thought.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Re: Recipe Section

no do not read that mollie there arwe only certan things i can have being on lood thinners
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
no do not read that mollie there arwe only certan things i can have being on lood thinners
Yes lass I can understand that, but what I'm saying is that folk put recipes in Food & Drink, rather than in Recipes, which could be lost down the board but, if they're put in the Recipes Section, they'd be more fresh for other folk to try out.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 05:12 PM

I hadn't looked really, but will now that you've mentioned it.

I miss cooking for my girls. The OH and his teens are all very picky so some nights I put together 3 or 4 different meals. Cheeseburgers or pizza for the boy, pasta or salads for the girl. Nothing with onion, mushrooms, veggies or sauce of any description for their dad.
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 06:54 PM

GREEN TOMATOE CHUTNEY

2½ kg green tomatoes
500g onions
1 rounded tbsp salt
500g sultanas
500g cooking apples
500g light muscovado sugar
1.14 litre jar spiced pickling vinegar

Slice the tomatoes (you can skin them if you want, but I don't usually bother). Finely chop the onions. Layer both in a large bowl with the salt. Leave overnight.
Next day, chop the sultanas using a large, sharp knife, then peel, core and chop the apples. Put the sugar and vinegar into a large pan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sultanas and apples and simmer for 10 mins. Strain the tomatoes and onions in a colander (but don't rinse), then tip into the pan and return to the boil.
Simmer for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick and pulpy. Transfer to warmed jars , and cover with lids.

Prep 25 mins

Cook 1 hr 15 mins

WILL KEEP OVER A YEAR,
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed, separated into small florets.
2 large onions, quartered and finely sliced, or a few small pickling onions.
900g mixed vegetables such as courgettes, runner beans, carrots, and French beans, cut into bite-sized pieces.60g sea salt.
2 tbsp plain flour.
225g granulated sugar (increase this quantity slightly if you don’t like the pickle too sharp).
1 tbsp turmeric.
60g English mustard powder.
900ml ready-spiced pickling vinegar.
...Method
1.Put all the vegetables in a large non-metallic bowl. Dissolve the salt in 1.2 litres water and pour this brine over the vegetables. Put a plate on top and keep the vegetables submerged for 24 hours.
.2.Drain the vegetables and rinse in cold water, then add them to a large pan of boiling water and blanch for about 2 minutes. Do not overcook them; they should still retain some crunch. Drain and refresh in cold water.
.3.Put the flour, sugar, turmeric and mustard powder in a small bowl and mix in a little of the vinegar to make a paste. Put it in a large stainless steel pan along with the remaining vinegar, bring to a boil and stir continuously so no lumps appear. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
.4.Add the vegetables to the sauce and stir well so they are coated. Ladle into warm, sterilised jars with non-metallic or vinegar-proof lids, making sure there are no air gaps, before sealing and labelling.
.Tip: Store in a cool, dark place. Allow the flavours to mature for at least 1 month and refrigerate after opening. Unopened it will keep for 6 months.

My husband dosent like mustard so i leave it out, & instead, i put 60 g of chillie powder , we call this, CHILLYLILY
Anji0007
Wales UK

26-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Today we got the ingrediants for sweet mince together , much better than the bought one,

1 500g mixed dried fruit,

2 apples,, peel'd washed & diced very small,

3 tablspoons demarara sugar,

2 tablespoons mixed spice,

mix together in a clean bowl,

have 2 jars washed & steralised ready,

add 3 measures of Brandy, & 1 measure of Rum or Whiskey,

mix well, and spoon into the jars, pressing down so the fruit is tightly

packed , when jars are full, cover tightly with Cling film, then put the lids

of the jars on tightly,

turn the jars alternate days , upside down, & right way up, this distributes

the Brandy & Rum, Whiskey evenly and is absorbed into the dried fruit,

i leave it from now to the week before Christmas when i bake the mince

pies, you will be able to tell the difference,

enjoy when cooked , warm with custard, Rum or Brandy sauce, or what my

hubby dose, he pours the brandy / Rumm straight on pie, he skips the

sauce bit !!they keep very well too, & you can freeze them,

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top