Join for free
Fireisland
New Member!
Manchester, UK
Fireisland is male 

15-05-2012, 09:22 AM

More tales of promotion, demotion and downright sackings.

So? Randy Lerner the owner of Aston Villa has sacked Alex McLeish the manager (allegedly) of Villa. What a shame; McLeish put his heart and soul into repeating at Villa the magical formula he had brought to Birmingham in his brief reign their as manager elect (for non footie fans Birmingham were relegated). However he failed to repeat his Birmingham performance when in the penultimate weekend of the season, Villa were saved by the sheer ineptitude of the Wolves and Blackburn managers collectively (see previous blog on Blackburn).
McLeish cost Birminingham £90 million in lost premiership revenue through relegation, but out of a sense of overwhelming self interest promptly (allegedly) walked out on them for Villa and a incredulously ridiculous pay rise of 150% materialising as a three year deal worth £2 million per year. I assume he's better at contract negotiation than managing football teams? And if so? Mr Lerner will have to pay him up in full: £6 million for ten months work.
So? Who next up at Villa? Step up to the mark, Mark Hughes the man who left Fulham because he said something along the lines of them "lacking ambition that matched his own". Mr Hughes's tenure as QPR manager has been interesting if not troubled; disciplinary track record being more of a 'record' than 'track' with eight red cards this season. And to give him some credit he perfected the 'record' so well against Tottenham that as he says "we committed four fouls and had three bookings and one sending off." As if to put the icing on the cake and with all to play for i.e. their very survival in the premiership he fielded a team with Joey Barton in the last game of the season. Now Joey is no stranger to records, proudly boasting his very own police record. Barton promptly gets sent off for an off the ball incident resulting in Tevez pronate on the turf. The F.A. have now charged Barton with two counts of alleged violent conduct. Maybe Mr Hughes thought he was managing a team of Cage Fighters and not premiership footballers?
So? If Randy Lerner fails to learn any lessons it could be Hughes. I raise my glass to the premiership and its unique take on the art of management and say "Cheers! 150% pay rises all round!"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top