Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2012, 06:41 PM

The Royal Princes

I see the brothers Harry and William are in the papers again at another function, playing polo or some other such silliness.

But excuse me, aren't they supposed to be in the forces? Haven't we just spent millions training them up to do a proper job, which they were both insisted they were desperate to do?

Now don't get me wrong I believe in the monarchy, but aren't these brothers doing the country a great disservice by having their cake and eating it? If they wanted to fly big boys toys in their spare time shouldn't they have paid for lessons themselves, rather than letting the taxpayer foot the bill and doing two career aviators out of a job?

I must admit I find it pretty tedious to only see or hear of Prince Harry in particular either playing polo or getting drunk with some model in a night club, and as for William he knew he would have to fulfill a full time royal role, and two years in the forces is a small payback for what he has cost the nation in training...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Re: The Royal Princes

Oh come on Barry,they are at least doing something,they know what its like being in the Forses,its not all Gung Ho these days. Maybe its time they brought back Subsription and got a few lay abouts off the Benefits and learning to see for themselves,they didnt ask to be Royal.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Personally I think both William and Harry are turning out to be good ambassadors for this country and I would not begrudge either of them their recreation or fun. Yes polo is an elitist sport, so what. If I were younger and had the chance I would have loved the opportunity to learn the game - you have to be a skilled rider to play and, imo, it's no sillier than any other sport or game folks enjoy.
Traditionally the royal males have joined one of the armed forces and at least William and Harry are not sitting on their backsides all day. I like both of them and considering the spotlight they live under, I think they are doing fine.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm not a Fan of the Royals but maybe...just maybe they are on leave the now and need some let your hair down time.
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Personally I think both William and Harry are turning out to be good ambassadors for this country and I would not begrudge either of them their recreation or fun. Yes polo is an elitist sport, so what. If I were younger and had the chance I would have loved the opportunity to learn the game - you have to be a skilled rider to play and, imo, it's no sillier than any other sport or game folks enjoy.
Traditionally the royal males have joined one of the armed forces and at least William and Harry are not sitting on their backsides all day. I like both of them and considering the spotlight they live under, I think they are doing fine.

I agree with every word you say Aerolor.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 11:22 AM

My neighbour in Spain is a Danish guy and he says their king and queen's eldest son is the laziest individual you can find. If he does 6 days work a year its a lot. He thinks our royals have to do a lot in comparison so yes I agree with other comments the princes deserve their leisure times too. They are good ambassadors for Britain around the world and well liked.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Agree with you 100% Aerolor

Does it really matter that they are in the papers enjoying themselves, it is allowed surely!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Barry I understand the Polo Match was in aid of Charity ?

Members of our armed forces work hard and play hard (my husband played cricket and golf for his regiment when he was in the country) so like everyone else I think the Princes are entitled to a little time off
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 06:28 PM

The whole point of my post has been missed, perhaps I didn't word it very well. I wasn't complaining insomuch that the princes were enjoying themselves, but complaining that they are pretending to be in the armed forces! When do they actually do that?

They are, as far as I can see, doing what they were born to do, which is to be Royal Princes, but why on earth have we spent millions training them to do a job which they will never be able to commit to, when there are thousands of other people that could have given that long term commitment. Harry in particular has been trained to kill people using the most technologically advanced weapon systems in our arsenal. Can you imagine that he will ever be allowed to?

There lies the irony, and the point of my post, that there is no-one that could possibly do their proper job, but there are thousands that could do the jobs they are pretending to do, that much better.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The whole point of my post has been missed, perhaps I didn't word it very well. I wasn't complaining insomuch that the princes were enjoying themselves, but complaining that they are pretending to be in the armed forces! [B]When do they actually do that?[/B
:
Errrrm when they are not on R and R or playing in charity Polo matches

Sorry Barry I couldn't resist it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top