Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Snooooze

This male lion couldn't help notice the beautiful day we had today. His warm rock was very inviting, even to me. LOL

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Re: Snooooze

Another great capture Bob, Mr Lion looks very comfortable but I notice he is still keeping his beady left eye on your camera!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 01:48 PM

He is fantastic,there is or was a Film company that used to have a Lion before the picture started when I was a child and I loved him.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
He is fantastic,there is or was a Film company that used to have a Lion before the picture started when I was a child and I loved him.
That famous roaring lion was the symbol of MGM Studios.

Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Many years ago we used to have a zoo in knaresborough run on a shoestring by a wonderful guy called Nick Nayoke. He used to take in animals that used to act in films. He had the giant anaconda used in a Bond film, the largest one in captivity when it was alive. He also used to have a male lion that starred in many films. It was a rarity in that it was what was called silly tame. I used to help out at the zoo after college, feeding and mucking out etc. I used to feed the lion and exercise him. He was blind in both eyes, and didn't have a tooth left in his head. We fed him on minced beef with a spoon. He would paddle across the enclosure when he heard the gate go, and lay his head on your lap to be fed. As he was blind we had to take him for a walk on a lead to give him exercise. I'll tell you one thing though. Up close, male lions stink to high heaven. An hour with him and you had to go get a bath lol
Your photo brought back some great memories
bobmielke
Portland, OR

29-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Many years ago we used to have a zoo in knaresborough run on a shoestring by a wonderful guy called Nick Nayoke. He used to take in animals that used to act in films. He had the giant anaconda used in a Bond film, the largest one in captivity when it was alive. He also used to have a male lion that starred in many films. It was a rarity in that it was what was called silly tame. I used to help out at the zoo after college, feeding and mucking out etc. I used to feed the lion and exercise him. He was blind in both eyes, and didn't have a tooth left in his head. We fed him on minced beef with a spoon. He would paddle across the enclosure when he heard the gate go, and lay his head on your lap to be fed. As he was blind we had to take him for a walk on a lead to give him exercise. I'll tell you one thing though. Up close, male lions stink to high heaven. An hour with him and you had to go get a bath lol
Your photo brought back some great memories
Your story caused me to recall that recently, on another forum, someone highly regarded on that forum thought I should shoot animals only in the wild. The photos that he, and other professional wildlife photographers post are sickly, scarred examples of the species. Predators in the wild are not necessarily premium specimens of the breed. Zoo animals are well cared for, eat regularly and have every physical need cared for. They lead long, productive lives in most cases.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 03:12 PM

So true Bob. Lions rarely live beyond 14 years old in the wild. The one at Knaresborough zoo was 24 when he died. Even at that great age he enjoyed life, loving snoozing in the sun and play fighting even though he couldn't see what he was pawing at lol
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Great photo bob!.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Another great photo Bob...he looks so comfortable on his warm rock
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Lovely photo Bob

Looks like he could do with a big cuddle......no?.....oh alright then

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top