Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:11 AM

Hrt?

Okay ladies, cards on the table. Who of you are taking, or have considered taking, hormone replacement therapy?

I have considered this but, having read the possible adverse effects, I've decided not to bother.

Problem is, the hot flushes. I've known ladies in their 70s who still have them, and so do I. I thought hot flushes stopped at a certain time, but apparently that isn't the case. As long as all your bits and bats are still intact, you continue with the hot flushes, and that there is no actual end to menopausal episodes, but of course this differs from person to person.

Do any of you ladies have any experiences you'd like to comment on about this?

This is one of the reasons I don't sleep too well at night. It can be freezing cold outside, but I'm acting up like a furnace in me bed.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Re: Hrt?

I can sympathise Mollie.........

Went through the change a little early and was relatively symptom free apart from the hot flushes.After a couple of years of freedom from them I thought that was the end of it but they've suddenly started up again...... From what I've read they can come and go indefinately...

I don't want to go down the HRT route either as my friend takes it and is so teary and down all the time which is totally out of character for her.Also the breast cancer aspect of it scares me a little.

I guess I'll just have to keep on standing in the garden to cool off or visit the freezer section in Tesco more often......
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 09:11 AM

I am undecided as to what to do at the moment, i have started having hot flushes, but at the moment i do not want to go down the road of taking hrt. Whether that changes in the future, i am just seeing what happens at the moment. I have always had problems sleeping, whether that was down to the menapause i dont know.
I dont like taking medication because of other side effects that go with them.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 09:31 AM

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones. The only symptoms I have had are hot flushes. To me the menopause is a natural process just like starting your monthlies. Do any of you remember the agonies of that process At that time your body was getting ready for your childbearing years and now your body is telling you it's too old and it's shutting down that process. That's the way I see it, so no HRT for me.
But I do understand that some suffer more than others and may need some help to get them through.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Hello Mollie,
I went onto HRT when I was going through the menopause and for me it was a positive experience. At the time I was in quite a demanding job and needed to keep "on the ball" and HRT was a good leveller for me. I can't say my menopause was a difficult one, but I took HRT for about three years and then came off it as easily as I went onto it, with no noticeable problems.
I am now post menopausal at 66 years old and about 3-4 years ago had to have a radical hysterectomy, which probably saved my life. Now I have no "bits and bobs" at all and so have little in the way of hormonal problems, which for me is the ideal. Even my hair has improved dramatically without the dreaded influence of hormones.
I don't know how well HRT would work for someone who is post menopausal, but speaking purely from my own experience, I think it can have benefits when someone is actually going through the menopause. I believe it certainly helped me at the time.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 10:19 AM

I didn't take anything Mollie. I was given Patches by the Doctor but within 36 hours I was flat on my back ill. It was the same with the Birth Control Pill, my body just reacts badly to anything like that. So I just had to go without. The Hot Flushes were the worst, I would be panting out the Window in Mid-Winter while the rest of the room froze and everyone yelled at me to get that window shut lol. I can laugh at it now but it was horrible at the time.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Oh well can say it will pass, by that time the old age kicks in and you can have all the aches and pains and forget who you are so as they say "Life's a Bitch"
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Oh well can say it will pass, by that time the old age kicks in and you can have all the aches and pains and forget who you are so as they say "Life's a Bitch"
Life's a bitch and then you die
You don't know when and you don't know why
You love a little and you say goodbye
Fate comes in and throws the switch
Life's a bitch and then you die

My Ex used HRT for a while. It did reduce the flushes somewhat, but didn't affect her insomnia or mood swings at all. It affects everyone differently, and very much depends what dose your GP puts you on.

I think her husbandectomy helped the mood swings.

No mention yet of the male HRT I notice
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:42 PM

The following is purely personal to me and I'm not wishing to frighten anyone thinking about taking HRT, as everybody is different, but I was put on HRT for around 8 years. The hot flushes I had were horrendous and I used to actually faint with them-not good when you're in the middle of a meeting at work! I'd also had an Hysterectomy about 30 years ago, so the Doctor advised I went on HRT.

Five and half years ago, I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and had a large tumour, and both ovaries removed. Also told the Consultant to take anything else while he was in there that was of no use to me The Consultant who did the op. asked me if I'd been on HRT for any length of time-told him for around 8 years. He was shocked and told me shouldn't have been taking it for that the length of time, and this could be linked to the Ovarian Cancer. If I'd known this at the time, I just wouldn't have touched it, and probably gone for something Homeopathic/Herbal.

Just don't know how much the effect the HRT did have, but all is well now, and like I said earlier, not wishing to put anyone off taking HRT, this is just my experience.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 02:46 PM

8 Years is a long time for HRT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top