Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Bert Weedon

Sadly, another great musician of yesteryear has passed away at the age of 91. He inspired many young would-be guitarists in the 60/70s.

RIP Bert.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17781762

pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Re: Bert Weedon

hes was verry good hes a good age rip
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Heard this on the radio at lunchtime. Sad loss. I still have my Bert Weedon play in a day book. All 4 kids have used it.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 04:39 PM

I remember seeing one of his shows at a holiday park many years ago. Always remember him as an awesome guitarist and one of those few who influenced and helped many.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 05:01 PM

He could well have been most certainly one of the best, if not the very best, guitarist known in our lifetimes.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-04-2012, 05:13 PM

Indeed, one of the very best.
A good age to toddle off and pluck a few strings of a different kind.

RIP Bert and well done.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 05:32 PM

I didn't really know who he was until I listened to the link Mags and I recognised the track. It was great!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I remember Bert Weedon and I liked him and his music a lot. I think just about every guitar player wanted to play like him. He was one of the greatest talents and seemed to be a naturally modest and kind man with no "side" to him and a generosity of spirit. Stay in peace Bert.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 05:57 PM

God rest his soul, he was an ole fella back in the 60's when I was young. Everybody thought that all you had to do to play the guitar was buy one of Bert Weedon's books and you were away in a hack, oh the innocence of us all, my fingers were blistered trying to get the hang of the chords, in the end I chucked the book in the fire and packed it in. He was a great musician and had he been younger in the 60's he would have made the big time, in my opinion that is, but I prefered the sound of Duane Eddie, even though I read somewhere that Eddie was thrown out of music school as a youth.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
God rest his soul, he was an ole fella back in the 60's when I was young. Everybody thought that all you had to do to play the guitar was buy one of Bert Weedon's books and you were away in a hack, oh the innocence of us all, my fingers were blistered trying to get the hang of the chords, in the end I chucked the book in the fire and packed it in. He was a great musician and had he been younger in the 60's he would have made the big time, in my opinion that is, but I prefered the sound of Duane Eddie, even though I read somewhere that Eddie was thrown out of music school as a youth.
I tried his book as well Jem, but after weeks of trying and still having not a clue, I decided to do the decent thing and I swapped the guitar for a fishing reel... and I never looked back...

RIP Bert...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top