Join for free
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Running computer in safe mode

I had mega laptop problems this morning. Everytime I logged on, Windows 7 closed, then retarted, then closed and so on and went on like this for a while until eventually I selected the Safe Mode option as needed to check my emails before going out.

This has happened in the past but not continuous like this morning. When logging on I sometimes get a message saying that Windows didn't close down properly, even though I shut down the night before.

Anyhow, I closed the laptop down and left it for an hour or so and when I got home and logged back on all was fine.

Has this happened to anybody else? If so how did you sort it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Re: Running computer in safe mode

Marian, do you use a password when you log on?

If so then try disabling it and see how your computer starts for a couple of days.

Are your graphics as clear and colourful as normal?

Does your Laptop run hotter than normal?
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Thanks AB - I do use a password but didn't know it could be disabled. Have no idea how to do this. The graphics do seem as clear and colourful as normal and I haven't noticed the laptop runnng hotter than normal.

Have just switched on now for first time today and all seems ok. Fingers crossed
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:29 PM

I have had awful problems since I changed to windows 7 but that is just me.My Motto is "If it can go wrong ... it will"
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Sounds like you got into a loop when you didn't shut down properly.
You probably fixed it when you logged on in safe mode and then shut down.
The error will be logged in your windows error files, but they are quite complicated to decipher.
marpaul
North Cumbria

20-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Its strange, as I always shut down properly! but do occasionally get a message next day saying I haven't.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 11:04 PM

That's odd, sounds like something got corrupted. Have you run malwarebytes lately?
marpaul
North Cumbria

21-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
That's odd, sounds like something got corrupted. Have you run malwarebytes lately?
No not yet, only heard of it the other day in AB's post! Have just run ccleaner and will do malwarebytes tomorrow now. thanks
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Marian, whoever put your password onto your computer should have told you how to change it or delete it.

It is easy enough to do if you want to, just let me know and I will guide you through it.

As Chippy says your computer sounds like it gets into a loop and Passwords tend to be the main cause after incorrect shut downs..
Have you uninstalled any programs recently, if so they could have removed a file that other programs depend on.
Have you got a 'Restore' point from a date before your computer started to have a mind of it's own?

As long as it is running OK at the moment we will leave it, as they say ' if it aint broke dont fix it'.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top