Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Trading Standards?

Should I get in touch with them?

Following on from another topic in General, and just to reiterate, my local shop, where I've been shopping for over 25 years, has just been taken over, and the previous staff have had to go, much to the distress of many.

Anyway. I went in there on Sunday evening to get my usual bits and pieces but, on Monday evening when I went in, the prices had shot up.

The cigarettes I buy have shot up a whopping 66p per packet from £5.13 to £5.79! A cheap bottle of wine previously costing £2.98 went up by 17p to £3.15. There are lots of other things as well, but surely this can't be right?

I know there's just been a budget, but even accounting for that, those prices shouldn't have increased by so much so, do you think I'd be in order to contact Trading Standards?
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Re: Trading Standards?

I doubt it would do any good Mollie. A corner show can charge what they like unless the price is displayed on the packaging.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
I doubt it would do any good Mollie. A corner show can charge what they like unless the price is displayed on the packaging.
Well, it's a mini supermarket really, and I do understand what you mean, but putting on a mark-up like that is not going endear their customers.

In fact, methinks I'll have a toot in the Tesco mini-market near me tomorrow night to compare costs. The shop I've mentioned originally was NISA, but now it appears to have been taken over by a totally independent person.

They may have bought the premises and stock, but they've certainly not got the goodwill as far as I'm concerned.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 12:17 AM

Makes me giggle every time you type toot. My cat toots, I think there is a thread about it somewhere

And yes, they obviously are there just to make money.

But there again, are the low prices that were being charged, the reason the previous owners had to sell up?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-04-2012, 12:29 AM

Toot. A verb meaning to look, see, examine!

No Paul. The reason the previous people had to move was because they were on a lease employed by NISA, but NISA sold out to a independent. Oh, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a cheap shop and that's why I usually do my shop at Lidl or Aldi, but as NISA, they had some good bargains on once a month.

I begged Malik and the others to stay, but they said they couldn't afford to buy the premises outright. It's a darned shame, but I still don't think they should be able to charge whatever they like.

It was a very convenient place for me to shop, but I don't think I'll be bothering with them much if I find Tesco cheaper. I don't even like the people in there now, either!
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

18-04-2012, 12:34 AM

Look on the bright side. If they go too expensive, they may not be there long
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Look on the bright side. If they go too expensive, they may not be there long
To be honest with you, I think an awful lot of their custom will go elsewhere as they're not as sociable as the last lot. No smiles, no "good evenings", no nothing. Just serve without a word. I tried to be cheerful with the lady who served me tonight, but I was met with a very dour expression.

With the others we'd have a laugh, a joke, a lot of banter, kindness, attentiveness, et al. With this lot - nowt!

I stilll don't think they should be allowed to charge what they want though.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

18-04-2012, 12:46 AM

They can even charge more than the rrp if they feel like it. so long as 2 different prices aren't displayed.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-04-2012, 12:51 AM

They can even charge more than the rrp if they feel like it. so long as 2 different prices aren't displayed.
Well that's scandalous.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Get yourself to Tescos Mollie, or better s till go down the road to Lidl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top