Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 11:22 PM

I love my mobile.

My name is Lloyd and I'm a mobile-aholic. I was a late adapter to the mobile phone phenomena because I've never been one for talking on the phone and didn't really see the point of having one when I had a perfectly serviceable phone at home with an answering machine, besides the abysmal battery life on early phones made them impractical and useless when really needed.
Then came phones that could text and I like the idea of quick pithy messages and instant communication. Then came cameras and then MP3 players and suddenly a plethora of useful applications that could entertain on a long drive.
Now we come to today, where I can't survive without my trusty companion and routinely carry on three or four text conversations all day while I'm working. Isn't technology wonderful? I was recently able to solve a problem that had cropped up at home while I was in China by using SMS messaging to co-ordinate two people who I needed to take care of the situation. The result? Problem solved in less than 20 minutes at zero cost. Try doing that if you're forced to use the Chinese phone system and pay for the privilege.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 11:33 PM

Re: I love my mobile.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum as I haven't had one for three years now, and I don't miss it one bit.

My partner's first "mobile" phone was the size of a house brick with an aerial on it.

Then, later on, he got me one of the more modern types after he upgraded his. I didn't want one but, as I had a very old car at the time, he said I needed one in case I broke down whilst driving alone, which was fair enough.

Then I had to learn how to text, as we all do at some stage. My last mobile phone's battery gave up the ghost about three years ago, a few months after my partner died and, being left alone, I decided to cut my direct debits to the bone as I still had a mortgage and car to pay for.

I can't honestly say I've missed my mobile phone at all.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 12:26 AM

I love my mobile too I've had one for more years than I care to remember but only really for emergency like Mollie, if I broke down.

These days I find it invaluable. I now use it for work mainly as need to keep in touch with customers. I used to hate texting but now with querty keyboard that's all changed. I can also use it to access the web if I need to, not very often though, mind you a week or so ago I'd arranged to visit somebody who'd moved premises and I forgot to take the address with me so was able to look it up on the phone via the web which I thought was wonderful.

I also have gps on it with ordnance survey maps for when I go out fell walking.

I am not really into downloading loads of aps. Haven't got time!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 12:39 AM

Wots aps and gps?

I keep hearing about these, but I haven't a clue what they are. I is cave woman when it comes to technology.

I used to hate my mobile deciding what words I was going to use. What's it called that? Predictive text or summat? I managed to fettle that though by reading the destructions.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 12:41 AM

I love all my gizmos, my latest being an i-pad. It is such an asset to keeping in touch with the transient life that my family lead.
I can speak and see them on Skype and there is no cost involved at all.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I used to hate my mobile deciding what words I was going to use. What's it called that? Predictive text or summat? I managed to fettle that though by reading the destructions.
Predictive was a stepping stone to today's full "QWERTY" keyboards and could be really frustrating.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

17-04-2012, 12:46 AM

Now I know what Skype is, but I don't have it. It must be brilliant, especially if you have friends or relatives living a fair distance away.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

17-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
Predictive was a stepping stone to today's full "QWERTY" keyboards and could be really frustrating.
Oh, thanks for updating me chuck. I've been using a QWERTY keyboard since 1965 so I'd be okay with that!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 01:01 AM

I so hate predictive text. I've tried it on my current phone as people were saying how great it is, but I couldn't get on with it so switched it off.

Mollie, apps are applications you can download from internet. There are apps for just about everything! GPS is a tracking thingy, can't remember what GPS stands for, but it tracks where you are so when I'm out fell walking I always know where I am and I no longer get lost
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 06:00 AM

I too love my Iphone, I use it every day. My 2 Grandsons are always sending Texts, it's great for getting onto the Net as well...if I can't be bothered leaving the Fire and trailing through to the Day Room.. I love all the different Apps you can get I'd hate to be without it now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top