Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2012, 11:39 PM

Heavy Schoolbooks.

I got a little grump to air. I couldn't believe the weight of my two grandson's schoolbags when they got here from school last friday, must have been at least a stone weight in each of the bags, the two kids looked crucified carrying them home. Why do they make the kids carry such heavy books?, in this day and age you'd think they would put all the books on an electronic reader, or would that be making it too easy for for the little ones, for gods sake, what is new technology for if not to lighten our load.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Re: Heavy Schoolbooks.

Do they need all the books that they have in the backpacks?

Sure the playboy and Cosmopolitons can stay but the Tech. books!!!

Ask them what subjects they have and tell them only to put the books for those subjects in.

Also advise them to use both strap supports as carrying more that about 20% of their body weight can give them back problems in later life.

As for putting subjects on ebooks, most sbujects are now in ebook style but some teachers want specific quotes from certain books, besides can all families afford ebook readers?
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Last Friday? that was the middle of the Easter break here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 09:18 AM

When I was at school, in the 4th and 5th year we used to get FIVE subjects homework EVERY night!!! - I carried a duffel bag and had a saddle bag on my bike both of which were crammed full of text and note books.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 01:24 PM

I've seen some kids here using those little carts you put luggage on, wheeling their backpacks on them. My daughter carried a heavy one in university as her laptop was in it as well as books. She didn't trust leaving anything in a locker.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 02:36 PM

I can remember my school satchel almost bursting at the seams with all the books I had to carry around at school. It certainly was a weight on one shoulder ..... no wonder I have ended up with backache in my senior years!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Why dont they have desks these days instead of tearing around school to different rooms for lessons,its ridiculous.They wouldnt be quite so hyperactive then.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top