Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Exhaust fell off today.

Spent half of today having car trouble. At lunch time I went to the local building supplier for 2 bags of sand and a bag of cement and 50 bricks, so I was a bit weighed down at the back. On my way back to the job I went over a particularly high speed bump to the joyful sound of a sickening crunch. I pulled over to have a look and found that one of the rubbers that hold my exhaust in place had broken so the exhaust pipe was hanging down a bit. So back on my way, driving carefully and avoiding the rest of the speed bumps with the intention of popping into my local garage when I got the chance later. About 1/4 of a mile down the road, there was a tremendous scraping sound, so once again I stopped to have a look. The pipe had come adrift from the back silencer and was dragging on the ground. So I unhooked the rear silencer from it's brackets and put it in the boot then tied up the trailing pipe with some rope from the boot and limped straight to the garage. A replacement rubber, new joint and 15 minutes of welding later I was on my merry way again. And I was very surprised that it only cost me 20 pounds.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Re: Exhaust fell off today.

What sort of car have you got? Why didn't you have the stuff delivered?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 05:43 PM

2 bags of sand, a bag of cement, and 50 bricks, no wonder the back was weighed down.
Was the steering easy?
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 05:44 PM

An anciently decrepit Mondeo, and I always pick up my own gear if it will fit in the car. It's quicker and you don't waste time waiting for deliveries that for some reason or another, invariably get delayed.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

13-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
2 bags of sand, a bag of cement, and 50 bricks, no wonder the back was weighed down.
Was the steering easy?
Meh 50 bricks and 3 bags is nothing really, I have carried far more in the past.

It probably adds up in weight to about 3 average people on the back seat so it's not as much as it sounds.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 05:49 PM

I've had bags of sand in the boot, but I wouldn't risk 50 bricks as well.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Glad it worked out well in the end Paul, 20 quid was very reasonable, the load may have been heavy but you got off light.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

13-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I've had bags of sand in the boot, but I wouldn't risk 50 bricks as well.
I might add this is my work vehicle, it's not what I drive outside work so it's quite used to being abused lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 06:03 PM

At lunch time I went to the local building supplier for 2 bags of sand and a bag of cement and 50 bricks, so I was a bit weighed down at the back
ooooops poor old car
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 06:10 PM

At £20, I wouldn't trust the welding You sure it wasn't pritt pads or super glue?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top