Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:24 PM

I hate flying!

I just got back from a trip to China and Hong Kong two weeks ago and I'm still furious about what airlines get away with. Thirteen hours in a seat that small children find confining and I'm 6'3". Why on earth is this form of torture legal?
I realize that there's nothing they can do about the duration of the flight, but don't we have government agencies who are supposed to protect us and ensure that we aren't subjected to this horrific claustrophobic experience?
If a reasonable amount of space makes flying economically prohibitive then so be it. Personally I think air travel is unsustainable because of the vast amount of land needed to cater to the ever growing industry, which points to the fact that there are just too many people flying. Why? Because the airlines can sell 300 tiny cramped inhumane seats at an unrealistic price when they should be legally required to supply a decent amount of space for a price that reflects the actual cost. I'm not a snob and freely admit that I wouldn't be able to afford this new arrangement except on special occasions.
One more thing, it's time to retire 747s, Cathay Pacific are you listening? They're old, dirty and outdated.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Re: I hate flying!

I can't go abroad this year because of this. Given the amount of money airlines charge, I have to resort to economy "cattle class" seats which means I have to sit for hours on end (at least 8 if I'm going to the States) with either my knees buried into the seat in front of me, or sit abducted (knees forced apart). I'm 6'2" with secondary osteo-arthritis in my right hip. Until I get my hip replaced, I can't fly - unless I win the lottery and go first class or something.

My wife decided to book a coach trip to Scotland in a few weeks time, so I'll be armed with my Tens machine and my perscription meds (or alchohol, whichever's in reach)
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm 6' and never had a problem with flying. Most of the flight's I go on are short though, either to Paris or Dublin. That said, my step son lives in Australia and I've been down there 4 times in the last 4 years and not found it too bad.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Blimey aren't we spoilt in these modern times! Thanks to the way people are packed into the aircraft millions have the opportunity these days to travel the world in just a matter of hours, the cost of which is laughable in real terms, and still we complain. Like everything else in life, you pays your monies and you takes your choice, but let's be thankful that at least most of us have the option to take it or leave it, when two generations ago some of our grandparents could hardly afford a day trip to the coast ....
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Blimey aren't we spoilt in these modern times! Thanks to the way people are packed into the aircraft millions have the opportunity these days to travel the world in just a matter of hours, the cost of which is laughable in real terms, and still we complain. Like everything else in life, you pays your monies and you takes your choice, but let's be thankful that at least most of us have the option to take it or leave it, when two generations ago some of our grandparents could hardly afford a day trip to the coast ....
Don't get me wrong, I'm very cognizant of the fact that we're blessed with the option of world travel, and the thought of a trip always excites me. It's just that once you're in that tiny little seat for a few hours with the prospect of another 9 or 10 hours to go it just becomes unbearable. Perhaps I'm claustrophobic.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:07 PM

I think it affects everyone differently. My Ex was only 5'2" and hated the lack of space.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 09:18 PM

I'm not a lover of flying. But I am more than prepared to put up with the discomfort, for the experience of visiting other countries.
I have visited at good few countries over the years and I will carry on doing so until I am no longer able.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I swore I'd never fly again after my first experience on one of these flippin' 4-prop jobs back in 1972:

Sorry about the size of the photo but I can't find a bigger one, probably because all Invicta flights were grounded due to the fact that they weren't airworthy - just two weeks after I'd flown in it from Luton to Dusseldorf!

I did fly again in 1999 though from Manchester to Rhodes with Gordon who was six feet tall, then most recently (?) in 2008 I flew from Manchester to Philadelphia, then on to Missouri with a friend.

Not only was I miserable on those flights, but they were extremely uncomfortable, and I'm just five feet tall. The food was also worse than hospital food.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Going seeing some of the world is well worth the discomfort to me, once off the plane all is forgotten only the holiday.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Going seeing some of the world is well worth the discomfort to me, once off the plane all is forgotten only the holiday.
Hiya missus. Where've ya been?

You're right of course. I'm not fond of flying either, and am not widely travelled via flight, mainly through lack of funds, but I would fly again if I could afford it and had a passport!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top