Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 01:53 AM

Programme Running in Background

I know how daft that sounds, but I've been having problems.

I'll try to explain.

When I click onto something - it doesn't matter what it is - I get a double click, even though I've only clicked once with my mouse. If I click on My Favourties, for example, it takes a few clicks before the options drop down as they keep bouncing back and disapearing.

I think there is something running in the background which is creating this problem and I don't know how to sort it.

I'm sorry if I've not explained this very well, but it's the only way I know how.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 01:57 AM

Re: Programme Running in Background

sounds like you might have some malwear running and using the resources. Have you tried ctrl alt delete and clicking on windows task manager. then clicking on the performance tab to see how busy your cpu is and how much memory you are using. If either of them is close to 100 % that will be why your system is lagging.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
sounds like you might have some malwear running and using the resources. Have you tried ctrl alt delete and clicking on windows task manager. then clicking on the performance tab to see how busy your cpu is and how much memory you are using. If either of them is close to 100 % that will be why your system is lagging.
Eh? Don't understand that chuck, but tomorrow I'll have a shufty and try what you suggest. I'm not au fait with inner sanctums of computers, but thanks for your reply anyway. I'll have a do tomorrow.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 02:03 AM

Ok I'll take you through it step by step if you like.

Me and computers are like this (crosses fingers)
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

08-04-2012, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Ok I'll take you through it step by step if you like.

Me and computers are like this (crosses fingers)
Okay Paul, but not tonight as it's a bit too late for me now, but tomorrow would be fine. Cheers. xx
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

08-04-2012, 02:17 AM

Haha so that's a date then
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Actually that's also been happening to me Mollie but not all the time just on and off, its very annoying. I'm going to try what Chippy suggests later on.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Mollie, before you start messing around check your mouse. What sort is it, Optical or Ball type, wired or wirless? You may also want to check you mouse in the control centre to make sure the settings are still the same.

Unless you know what you are doing the Task Master will be to complicated for you to understand even when someone is explaining what is happening.

Every computer has numerous programs running in the backgroud and some are dependent on others to run properly.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

10-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanks for that, Bob. I've not tried anything yet 'cos I'm scared of doing summat daft, which is usually what happens with me.

Mouse is optical and wired, and this has only been happening the last few weeks. I've had the mouse much longer than that.

On occasion when I've done a post in here, I get a warning that I've posted twice, when I haven't. It's just done a double click.

Like Marian, it doesn't happen every time, but too many times, and that's why I think there's something running in the background. I'm not really confident enough to start fiddling myself, so I may have to live with it for the time being.

Many thanks anyway.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 07:40 AM

Mollie, first of all use a cotton bud to wipe clean the small 'eye' on the bottom of your mouse and see if that helps, if not,

Go to Start-Control panel-Mouse, a pop up box will appear, click on the Activites Tab and test your mouse, you can adjust the speed of the clicks.

Do nothing else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top