Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 09:51 PM

Tinyurl

Does anybody use this and, if so, is it a safe site?

YouTube have been removing certain things, presumably for copyright purposes, but there's a invitation to view online via Tinyurl for free.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Re: Tinyurl

I've never heard of it!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 10:56 PM

I just don't like clicking onto things unless I'm sure they're safe. Thanks anyway, Mags.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Mollie, as far as I know tinyurl is just a URL shortening service.
Nothing wrong with shortening very long web addresses but while the service itself maybe safe you have to idea where you'll end up when you click on a link. It could easily direct you to a page with a virus, trojan or other sort of malware on it.

It is certain that cybercriminals are using something like this to redirect users to pages that contain nasties. In doing so they can get round the safe browsing mechanism built in to browsers like Firefox and Chrome. If users are unlucky enough to click on a bad one they will get no warning and be sent directly to the dangerous web page.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 06:04 PM

I like that old adage "better safe than sorry". I very rarely click on a link unless I know where it leads..
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

03-04-2012, 12:22 AM

Thank you both George and Barry. I am more than aware that clicking onto a site can be dangerous, but I've seen this so many times on YouTube.

I am very wary of any links, even those put on here. I shall try to investigate this site more fully, but I just wondered if anybody else uses it. Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Apparently, Tinyurl is a site where one can watch films etc that YouTube have removed for copyright purposes, but I've never trusted it, so thanks again.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2012, 01:42 AM

I just put into Google "is tinyurl safe to use?".....this is what came up from WikiAnswers:-

Tiny URL is NOT a safe website.
Messages have been passed through Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and so on, from spam bots (disguised as your friends) giving you tinyurl's.
The URL's could be anything from cookie trackers, identity trackers, and so on.
Please be safe with this website!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

03-04-2012, 01:49 AM

Many thanks, lass. I was going to look this up tomorow, so thanks for that. I just had an inkling that it wasn't safe, so I appreciate that.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2012, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Many thanks, lass. I was going to look this up tomorow, so thanks for that. I just had an inkling that it wasn't safe, so I appreciate that.
You're very welcome
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 01:39 AM

It's a shortening/redirect service, so while usually you see the URL, eg:

www.bbc.co.uk

with a shortening service it might be something like

http://ti.ny/242j

So you don't know where the URL is going to take you.

I hate them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top