Join for free
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Hearing Aid advice

Im after a bit of advice for my dear old Mum. She has had 2 sets of hearing aids. The first had 'ariels' which made it hard to use the phone and were pretty basic. The 2nd lot are a bit better and she's now got a decent phone so she can hear! If she's talking on a one to one basis that's fine but if she's in a place with background noise she can't hear a thing.

Before she invests any more money are there any recommendations I can suggest to her or are all hearing aids useless at filtering out background noise? Can she try before she buys?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Re: Hearing Aid advice

Why doesnt she go to her GP and get an appointment at the hospital , she can be tested and supplied free.Private hearing aids cost a fortune.
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 10:07 PM

She's done that and was given the 'ariel' type (NHS). It's the quality of them that doesn't work for her, i.e the background noise not being filtered out and she's becoming a recluse because of it. If she had to pay for better quality ones that did the job she'll happily spend her funeral money on them!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 10:14 PM

I have the ones from the hospital but they dont filter background noise, thats why I only use them for one to one conversations. I think you will find that a lot of deaf people dont mix, i dont for one.You do get used to not hearing properly and learn to read faces as you can almost tell from peoples expressions which way to say mmmm, wether sympathetically or joyous.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 11:12 PM

My sister in law has just got two digital hearing aids on the NHS she's back in the land of the living now, she thinks they are brilliant so do we as we can now communicate with her.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top