Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Hard of Hearing

I eat with a senior group each morning at McDonald's. One of our regulars is Wilbur Evans, 81. He's so profoundly hard of hearing his wife, Donna, and everyone else around him, has to scream things 2-3 times to get him to acknowledge what you said. The other day he was walking by a stranger in a booth who said good morning to him in passing. He turned and said "Huh", but the man had looked back down to his paper ignoring Wilbur. When Wilbur reached his seat he was angry at the guy for not repeating what he'd said. What he didn't know was that the guy was also very hard of hearing and didn't hear Wilbur's "Huh". LOL

Wilbur still drives his huge car everywhere. Do you think he should be allowed to do so when he's basically deaf?

The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Re: Hard of Hearing

No I don't and definitely not to McDonalds - the food there is just awful !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Why not allow deaf people to drive? That's discrimination to say no. Deaf people are far more aware of their surroundings and use their mirrors more too.
Videos of the driving test are made with BSL and people with sign will teach you to drive.

Deaf people can read and write so what's the problem? The emergency vehicles have blue flashing lights...you don't need to hear them.

You can drive with no legs and other disabiliies just as severe, so what's wrong with being deaf, that sets them apart?

Now having got some of my moans off my chest, I believe you can be too old to drive.
A sight and reversing skills test would be more useful for people over 70.
If your old friend Wilbur is a dreadful driver, maybe it is age related.
Does your old friend have hearing aids, or does he just not bother to wear them?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I love a hamburger at McDonalds...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Maybe Wilbur could check with the police about driving when he is hard of hearing. If there is no legal element to prevent him driving in your country then that's fine. He could also put notice in his back window to say "driver hearing impaired." Then people would be aware that he is a deaf driver. It would be a shame to curb his mobility so that he can't meet with his friends.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Why not allow deaf people to drive? That's discrimination to say no. Deaf people are far more aware of their surroundings and use their mirrors more too.
Videos of the driving test are made with BSL and people with sign will teach you to drive.

Deaf people can read and write so what's the problem? The emergency vehicles have blue flashing lights...you don't need to hear them.

You can drive with no legs and other disabiliies just as severe, so what's wrong with being deaf, that sets them apart?

Now having got some of my moans off my chest, I believe you can be too old to drive.
A sight and reversing skills test would be more useful for people over 70.
If your old friend Wilbur is a dreadful driver, maybe it is age related.
Does your old friend have hearing aids, or does he just not bother to wear them?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I love a hamburger at McDonalds...
Wilbur, in his younger years, was a professional long haul driver. He's a stubborn old coot who refuses to wear his hearing aids. The dangers with drivers who can't hear include an inability to warn them of impending danger. A fire engine crossing a traffic light at a right angle has the right of way but Wilbur, having a green light, would never hear them coming. I understand the studies reflect older drivers are more cautious and better behaved drivers but have reduced reaction times to emergency situations.

My dad was 80 when he finally gave up driving. The finishing blow came when he rear ended a parked car. The major problem with that was it was the chief of police that he hit and the chief was behind the wheel when it happened. LOL
bobmielke
Portland, OR

27-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Maybe Wilbur could check with the police about driving when he is hard of hearing. If there is no legal element to prevent him driving in your country then that's fine. He could also put notice in his back window to say "driver hearing impaired." Then people would be aware that he is a deaf driver. It would be a shame to curb his mobility so that he can't meet with his friends.
Wilbur's wife, Donna, is much younger than Wilbur. She's 67 and has her own car. If Wilbur weren't so stubborn he'd be wearing his hearing aids and not as deaf.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Maybe like me Wilber( love that name)is relieved not to have to listen to people going on Adinfornitum. I wear my hearing aids when I want to hear some -one , one to one.If he is still capable of driving then why should he stop. Go Wilber.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 08:44 PM

A lot of the younger generation have their music on so loud that it is impossible for them to hear a siren in any direction and of course, it is distractful in being alert.
Humm. . . don't know if I am explaining myself correctly.
You know when the music is so loud, it kinda numbs your senses.
They must be driving like 'old coots.' LOL.
Every time a driver does somethin' stupid, I take a look at the driver if possible. Perhaps in passing them.
I have been doing my own surveys that way for so many years. I want to know how old they are, man/woman.
I am usually suprised.
AND when I do something stupid. . . I try to find a place to hide! Take the next alley. . . turn on the next block, etc.. too funny.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:09 PM

I just caught the end of a BBC programme tonight, don't know what it's called but it's on just before East Enders. They had been to film and interview a lady who is 100 years old and still drives herself everywhere.

Just found the name of the programme it was The One Show.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 11:15 PM

If his driving is still skillful and his reactions are still fast, for an emergency stop for example, his lack of hearing shouldn't be a problem.

However, as Bob is in the USA, the laws may be different over there.

With emergency services, one tends to hear the sirens long before you see the blue/red flashing lights so he could be encumbered in that way, so I think he should wear his hearing aids when driving, if at no other time.

In this country, when a driver hears the sirens from the emergency services, they pull over to allow their vehicles access, before they're on top of you.

By the way, McDonald's in the UK are absolutely dire, but in the USA they are brilliant.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top