Join for free
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Now I gotta start again

I took my new puter back today.(faulty sound card)..I now have a 8gb pentium i5 1tb h/d usb 3's all sing all dancing samsung ...only problem is i couldn't afford the a 17'' screen when I get a minute I will set it all up ....
Ian McKlatchie
New Member!
Merseyside, UK
Ian McKlatchie is male 

15-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Re: Now I gotta start again

Hi...

That's the time that I dread the most, buying a new machine.

I dread trying it out because I just KNOW that I'm going to experience the horror of finding something not working, in it or on it.

Between that and the lack of easily available funds, I've not bought a new machine for around 7 years, at least.

This tower I'm on, now, is 12.5 years old.

I'll buy another one when the money's built up and I'm feeling brave!

Ian.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2012, 03:45 PM

what are you running ???win 95 or 3.1.....lol......I ditched my tower years ago and moved to a laptop.....much more comfortable sitting in my chair with TV rather than in other room ...to be honest i haven't missed the tower...if i need a bigger screen i just link it to the TV via the HDMI output..
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

16-03-2012, 12:15 AM

well its all set up....its a Samsung which has replaced my Toshiba....its much better spec but the build and performance ain't as good.and the screen is smaller..I going to repair my Toshiba...it needs a new keyboard , the fan needs cleaning and if i can get one a new cover ..it will mean a compete dis-assemble ...i.e. removing everything including the motherboard but it is worth doing it
Ian McKlatchie
New Member!
Merseyside, UK
Ian McKlatchie is male 

16-03-2012, 03:47 AM

What am I on? It's a Medion Cybercom 1571. While using it, I'm on a contoured keyboard, which works for me mostly because I'm a touch-typer and I need speeds of around 7-9 letters a second and I hate straight keyboards, which is what laptops have. The keyboards are as old as the tower, bought from Staples - Trust Ergotrack keyboards...yep...antiques, themselves - like me!

My laptop - another old machine, really, is a 17 inch Gateway laptop and, come to think of it, that's now around 7 years old, itself. I tend to look after machines because I don't know when I'll be able to buy replacements, so the laptop looks like it's never been bought. I plonk it on a laptop stand on the downstairs desk, and plug a contoured keyboard and a mouse into it.

Britain's recession has meant that I must "mend and make do", just like during World War 2.

The tower is on Windows XP Home, with SP3, although it would be nice to buy a new tower, which will be Dell or Acer, I think. I'd like to splash around in Windows 7 and see what that's like, too.

Ian.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

16-03-2012, 10:20 AM

I would recommend win 7. I have used '95,98,XP,and vista in the past ....whilst 95 and 98 were very primitive by today's standards XP and vista had their problems....If you like XP you will like win 7....I had vista on my Toshiba 17'' laptop which had a 320gb hhd 2.2ghz and 4gb ram it really struggled with it so I upgraded ASAP as it was rubbish ....WIN 7 is brilliant I get very few hangs and if there is a prob it will tell you rather than the blue screen scenario and shutting down.
My new laptop is a Samsung 1tb hdd 8 gb ram 2.4ghz i5 with turbo boost to 3.4 ghz....the machine spec is obviously better than the Toshiba but being smaller at 15.6 I miss the sound i get from the Toshiba and the uncluttered desktop as the screen is smaller ..with ref to windows 7 ...I would say go for it you will be pleasantly surprised ...
Ian McKlatchie
New Member!
Merseyside, UK
Ian McKlatchie is male 

16-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks for that. I almost hijacked somebody else's thread, here, so I'll quietly back out, now.

Thanks for the details.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

16-03-2012, 12:16 PM

you ain't hijacked anything ...if you have a question and I can answer give you a answer feel free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2012, 11:24 AM

The problem is that I can't use a laptop for my Photoshop and Plug-in software. It requires a dedicated graphics card not found on laptops. Instead I bought an Apple iMac with 21.5" beautiful monitor. It came preloaded with the right software. All I had to do is plug in the single power cord and Voila!. I'll never go back to Windows again. By the way, my first PC used DOS 1.0, had a whopping 256K of RAM, an 8088 Intel processor and two 5 1/4" floppy drives, no hard drive. It cost me $4800.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top