Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Pen Friends.

I was just sitting here thinking of bygone days when I was a boy, my Father's Brother's Wife was an American Lady born and bred, they lived in California and they decided between them (I had no say in the matter) that I was to have a new pen friend over there, Barbara something or other, this was in the mid 50's and memories are vague. Barbara was 10 and I was 9 at the time, she was a pupil at a School in Burbank where my Aunt was a history teacher, we used to write every week and I can't remember for the life of me what about, I do remember her as a very bossy type though (Ain't yez all ). I wonder what she's doing now, probably went into politics, that would suit her. I know it's almost gone out of fashion now, but did you ever have a pen friend as a child?.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Re: Pen Friends.

Jim matey, didn't she become Mrs Ronald Reagan????
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

I'd forgotten my penfriend! I can't remember how I came to get her, vague memories of a teacher at school. She was German which, so soon after the war, surprises me now. Her name was Trudi and her English was as good as my German It didn't last long.
One friend had an American penfriend, a couple of us were quite jealous and tried to get this American girl's mates to write to us.
People don't write now, let alone have penfriends.
I used to collect stamps and swap them, did you?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Jim matey, didn't she become Mrs Ronald Reagan????
That's very possible Joe!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Yes Janela I did collect stamps, I had some very old ones, wish I new where the album was now, I have a sneaky suspicion my older brother stashed it away somewhere when I got married and left the family home, but he's not saying anything.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Oh that's a pity Jimmy....you'll have to put his arm up his back until he tells you, just like when you were kids
Hubby said, what about cigarette cards and marbles?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 07:13 PM

I had a French pen pal and pretty much like Janela, it didn't last long, we both wrote gobbledygook.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 07:22 PM

I had a Swedish pen friend, can't remember her name or how long we wrote to each other for, but I remember looking forward to receiving her letters and I'm sure I have them stashed away somewhere
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

I used to have a Dutch pen friend when I was about 10, we used to send each other loads of postcards of our countries. What else we talked about, I just can't remember! I think it lasted for about 3 or 4 years.

Yes, I used to collect stamps, tea cards and cigarette cards. Those were the days!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Innocent times too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top