Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Stupid deer

In the park this morning we just rounded a bend in the path and this deer is standing 20 yards from us, the boys were on lead straining like hell, I'm standing at 45 degrees, feet firmly planted on the ground and it just stood there, the girls were taken aback too but not for long, Mea shot off, sparks flying off her feet with Smeags in hot pursuit, I'm standing there hanging on for dear life and the boys are slowly digging 2 channels in the path as they tried to take off.

The girls were away for 10 mins into the trees, not a hope in catching it but they love the chase, funny thing about rotties, they never bark or yelp when chasing so if out of sight you don't know where they are.

I'm positive my arms are 3 inches longer.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Re: Stupid deer

Lol, sounds like you had a fun time Nero! Better practise on that recall tho - might save your arms from getting longer LOL
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 03:05 PM

It's a wonder your boys didn't drag you along Nero!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 03:06 PM

There's no controlling the boys when they sniff Venison on the hoof, that's why I keep them on the Flexis.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Where I walk with my girl there is sometimes deer in the woods-she knows exactly where they are and gives chase-no chance of her catching them. She once disappeared for about 10 mins-started to panic a bit then suddenly this deer ran straight in front of me followed by Hatti who could hardly walk by that time never mind run-didn't go much further on our walk as she had had her exercise for the day thanks to the deer
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 07:12 PM

We have a lot of Dear round about us, and frequently see them quite close, my girls take onbe look and are behind my legs till its out of sight!
Two very vicious staffies I have I eh???
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
In the park this morning we just rounded a bend in the path and this deer is standing 20 yards from us, the boys were on lead straining like hell, I'm standing at 45 degrees, feet firmly planted on the ground and it just stood there,
I'm positive my arms are 3 inches longer.
Denis, this is a common occurance where we walk the dogs, it's not too bad now they are nearly five, but when younger Bara in particular would take off into the undergrowth and in the first year we had her she might be gone for half an hour or longer sometimes.

I've also noticed that sometimes a deer will stand perfectly still in the hope that they blend into the background (Remember dogs don't have as good eyesight as we do) then it's down to wind direction, if it's blowing towards us the dogs will go after it, if it's blowing away from us they might not take off until we are either very close or it (deer) moves.

They are mostly 'off lead' but the beginning and end we now put them on lead, if Rianna decides to chase one when on lead she's so powerful even I can't hold her. Thankfully these last two years both of them just do the 'token' chase and we rarely loose sight of them and they are back with us in 5 or 10 minutes.
nero
Central Scotland

13-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Denis, this is a common occurance where we walk the dogs, it's not too bad now they are nearly five, but when younger Bara in particular would take off into the undergrowth and in the first year we had her she might be gone for half an hour or longer sometimes.

I've also noticed that sometimes a deer will stand perfectly still in the hope that they blend into the background (Remember dogs don't have as good eyesight as we do) then it's down to wind direction, if it's blowing towards us the dogs will go after it, if it's blowing away from us they might not take off until we are either very close or it (deer) moves.

They are mostly 'off lead' but the beginning and end we now put them on lead, if Rianna decides to chase one when on lead she's so powerful even I can't hold her. Thankfully these last two years both of them just do the 'token' chase and we rarely loose sight of them and they are back with us in 5 or 10 minutes.
You're right Harvey, . . the answer's blowin in the wind.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Lol! Not a problem for cat people

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top